Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

iPhone overheating while Wireless Charging

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by antispam
I put my mask under the phone - stops it from charging...
I really wish they had a 'on' 'off' switch for the charging pad - Hondas have them - very handy.
You can turn off the Wireless Charging in MMI. See Owner's Manual.
The following 2 users liked this post by retom:
a75 (09-16-2021), Brilliant2U (07-26-2022)
Old 09-16-2021, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
You can turn off the Wireless Charging in MMI. See Owner's Manual.
Really? Will check and disable this ... old fashioned wire is much better..

Update : found it.. many thanks!

Last edited by antispam; 09-16-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-30-2022, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no solution and Audi has owned up to its' design flaw. An iphone will overheat and the charging pad is weak.
I took my brand new A3 in to see about the problem and this is what I was told. Dissapointing.
Old 12-30-2022, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by tod.tomorrow
There is no solution and Audi has owned up to its' design flaw. An iphone will overheat and the charging pad is weak.
I took my brand new A3 in to see about the problem and this is what I was told. Dissapointing.
It's the "design flaw" of wireless charging, not Audi. If your phone moves off-center, the charger turns up the flow to try and keep up, which can result in more heat generated. This is why Apple came up with their MagSafe charging, to hold the phone in place. Either buy a bigger phone, add some sort of bumpers to keep the phone centered, or just don't drive like a maniac.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 416 Likes on 353 Posts

you know, i was thinking about this, and the centering could be handled by cutting out template for your phone, from piece of black foam core, or something. drop it in and go. once you had it perfect, you could have something machined pretty cheap, and then you could spray it with that glove box flocking stuff.

I just went to the iPhone 14 Pro from the 12 Pro, and the camera bump is taller (i think it got taller on the 13 actually), and the phone doesn't lay flat, the bump is at least 2mm. I assume that air gap also causes heat because it adds space between the charging element.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
you know, i was thinking about this, and the centering could be handled by cutting out template for your phone, from piece of black foam core, or something. drop it in and go. once you had it perfect, you could have something machined pretty cheap, and then you could spray it with that glove box flocking stuff.

I just went to the iPhone 14 Pro from the 12 Pro, and the camera bump is taller (i think it got taller on the 13 actually), and the phone doesn't lay flat, the bump is at least 2mm. I assume that air gap also causes heat because it adds space between the charging element.
I thought about this too, would be an easy 3D print for someone that knows 3D printing. All ya need is some sort of bumper that keeps the phone centered yet still easy to grab.
Old 12-31-2022, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes! a 3d print would be perfect!
Old 12-31-2022, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasWShea
yes! a 3d print would be perfect!
And isn't it just easier to connect the iPhone with a US cable or with USB-C? Faster, simpler and more effective.
Old 12-31-2022, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by retom
And isn't it just easier to connect the iPhone with a US cable or with USB-C? Faster, simpler and more effective.
It is, but apparently, the jack is frail, and breaks easily. the repair is a process, and not warrantied based on the forum posts i've scene.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:33 AM
a75
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

It is much easier and more efficient to buy an original apple magsafe charger and install it on top of audi charger in any convenient way. Including, it is possible to make an appropriate spacer on a 3D printer. Fortunately, there is also where to connect it inside the glove box. Yes, you can even just stick it with double-sided tape as the easiest, but not the most beautiful option.
The iPhone will hold on to the magnet and charge normally.
I'm going to do this for the second year, but I still don't have time. And I hardly suffer from the problem of discharging the phone, I almost never have to charge it in the car, so the issue is not so acute for me.

Quick Reply: iPhone overheating while Wireless Charging