Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Lane Assist and High beams...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Lane Assist and High beams...

So I got to finally take the car out for a night drive and I知 still getting used to lane assist as I have some mountain freeways with some curves and the car seems to think it needs to help me etc...

I also noticed that I think the car does automatic high beams around the town when I知 in dark areas and it turns off if a car is around I guess? Is this right or maybe I知 just in some roads that have some dips and this I what I think i
saw...
Old 01-21-2021, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're correct with regards to the high beams. When the cameras detect that it's a very dark path, it will automatically turn on the high beams for you. However, it's also smart enough to detect when there is upcoming traffic and will also turn them off automatically as to not blind the oncoming driver. Makes it nice to do one less manual thing when driving.

As far as the lane assist, I had trust issues with it the first few drives as well, as I wasn't accustomed to trusting something else to handle the steering, especially at going at 70 MPH, but it does help for nice long stretches of road.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There seems to be two versions or tiers of the lane assist. When I am driving and the car crosses a line it nudges the wheel to get me back in my lane. But I noticed that there is also a Lane keeping feature with the cruise control which will do a great job of keeping the car centered in the lane when on cruise control.

I use this latter feature quite a bit on long highway drives
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (01-21-2021)
Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattman928
There seems to be two versions or tiers of the lane assist. When I am driving and the car crosses a line it nudges the wheel to get me back in my lane. But I noticed that there is also a Lane keeping feature with the cruise control which will do a great job of keeping the car centered in the lane when on cruise control.

I use this latter feature quite a bit on long highway drives
Thanks for sharing, I知 still new to the vehicle even though my goal has been to try to get 1,500 miles on it before I start towing a new Airstream that might arrive in Mid-February. I知 failing as I have about 225 miles in it and we bought the care on 12/31.

As such I haven稚 used the adaptive cruise control feature as I haven稚 really taken it on long stretches of freeways yet...

The lane assist I think overall is helpful but since I live in a beach town and a main entrance to our town is either Route 1 or Highway 17 (has mountain curves) it痴 about knowing the right speed as you approach these different curves and sometimes the car I think doesn稚 like my driving but I don稚 like it痴 warnings... haha I mean I do appreciate the safety features.

I think I値l need to practice driving more and I値l learn what the car likes vs doesn稚 like etc...
Old 01-22-2021, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

How long can you keep your hand off the wheel before the warning light comes back on? I am only getting ~10 seconds.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Just a note that Lane Keep Assist will make mild steering adjustments to keep you, well, in the lane, but it is NOT meant to steer through curves for you. Don't try that, you still need to steer the car.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by methodtim
Just a note that Lane Keep Assist will make mild steering adjustments to keep you, well, in the lane, but it is NOT meant to steer through curves for you. Don't try that, you still need to steer the car.
Adaptive cruise control with lane assist will steer all the way through corners without problems. It's not a self driving Tesla and does run into some issues with turn lane deviations but it's pretty good. I can cruise for miles at 80mph on the freeway with simply holding light pressure on the wheel and the car takes care of everything else.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by the.dude
Adaptive cruise control with lane assist will steer all the way through corners without problems. It's not a self driving Tesla and does run into some issues with turn lane deviations but it's pretty good. I can cruise for miles at 80mph on the freeway with simply holding light pressure on the wheel and the car takes care of everything else.
I'm not going to test this, but that's not how it works in my experience (MY 2019 Q7). The car will take you through mild turns, but for actual curves, I am definitely turning the wheel. But again, I ran out of guts to let the car keep steering as the curve became more real.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by methodtim
I'm not going to test this, but that's not how it works in my experience (MY 2019 Q7). The car will take you through mild turns, but for actual curves, I am definitely turning the wheel. But again, I ran out of guts to let the car keep steering as the curve became more real.
I worked my way up to letting it do the work very slowly on empty roads. Even with that it's still more of a cool gimmick to me than an actual trusted method to get me there in one piece.
Old 01-23-2021, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
How long can you keep your hand off the wheel before the warning light comes back on? I am only getting ~10 seconds.
My experience has been that the car asks me to take over after about 10-15 seconds as well. I generally only try it on straight runs. The car ends up drifting towards a lane marking, it steers the other way, I drift towards the other lane marking, it steers away etc. I find myself ping ponging back and forth...albeit slowly. It's not a feature I will use often anyway.

Quick Reply: Lane Assist and High beams...