Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Latest CR Q8 Reliability Rating

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OldChipper
Is there a newer one than what was published in, I think, December?
Yes.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Is there a newer one than what was published in, I think, December?
There is.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking at it, it appears most of the reliability issues are around the well-documented hesitation issue (drivetrain/transmission) and some cockpit electronics. Most other systems rate highly on reliability and owner satisfaction overall is good. Personally, I think the hesitation is more an owner satisfaction rather than a reliability issue, but whatever. I hesitate to jinx myself, especially during the lockdown , but we have several thousand miles on ours including a 2,000 mile road trip and all good so far (apart from hesitation issue which is largely remedied by selectint Sport mode and/or turning S/S off). And hey, at least it's not at the very bottom of reliability anymore!
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (12-19-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow. I just looked at the December issue and the Q8 got a predicted reliability score of 8...

41 to 60 is average, 61 to 80 is better, and 80+ is best.

Only three cars were lower, all GM products. The Alfa Romero Giulia scored higher, lol.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah it's really weird since the Q7, which they say shares a lot with the Q8, is the highest rated. IMO It's got to be people complaining/dissatisfied with the engine delay skewing the rating or too few people responding to their survey. Pretty much everything else they say about the Q8 is very positive.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing to note is that predicted reliability for newer models is kind of a red herring from Consumer Reports; there just isn’t enough data to make reasonable conclusions. The results are based on such a small sample size that even slight variances can have a large influence on that number.

As more reports come in, the data should hopefully start to normalize and not be so influenced by a small number of people reporting the same problem or issue (small from a relative perspective, but large from a sample-size perspective).

However, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Q7 numbers start to drop since the 2020 version now has the same engine as the Q8, assuming the hesitation problems persist. But the impact to the predicted reliability numbers should be much less since the sample size is much larger assuming CR doesn’t split out the 2020 Q7 from the MK2 population.
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (12-19-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

We have over 35,000 miles on ours. No reliability issues and, so far, the only durability issue was when our friendly road repair contractor left a sharp piece of metal sticking up and it slashed a tire. Total cost fot 2 new tires, etc. $900+ -- stone hit the smart windshield, cost about $1,100 -- covered by insurance, 100%.

Ours is maintained EVERY 5K miles -- with a trip to the dealer for oil and filter change and whatever else is required. This means we pay for every other oil change. Small price to pay for piece of mind.

Rear brakes will need to be replaced by 40K miles I'm thinking -- and this on a car that is largely driven on the Interstate -- this will get EXPENSIVE, since Audi has joined the "replace" the rotors club,

Not really complaining -- just noting that this is a high-buck vehicle and it has high-buck maintenance needs sometimes.

Overall, very pleased -- wish the thing had the electric turbo-charger; my bet is it will soon.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Lots of Reliability Issues

I have 24K miles on my Q8 prestige with many (most unresolved) reliability issues. While I am not a CR fan, I believe their ratings are on the mark. Individual experiences don't mean much compared to a large database. That said, I am glad to hear some owners reporting satisfaction.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Could you let us know what your issues were so that, at a minimum, we can keep an eye out for them? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Could you let us know what your issues were so that, at a minimum, we can keep an eye out for them? Thanks!
OK I will put together a descriptive list in a couple of days.

Quick Reply: Latest CR Q8 Reliability Rating