Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Let the dealership put window tint on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn’t the heat reflective front windshield a Q8 option?
Old 05-30-2021, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon900
I do it because it is really hot in Atlanta in the Summer. The car comes with all except the driver and front passenger windows already tinted. The factory does not tint the front windows because of the variety of local laws. There is really nothing wrong with tinting the remaining windows as long as local ordinances are followed.
Tinting front side windows IMO is OK. But tinting windshield could be dangerous. Even in California, Arizona or Madrid sometimes it rains in the night. The factory heat reflective front windshield is a sufficient compromise.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon900
I do it because it is really hot in Atlanta in the Summer. The car comes with all except the driver and front passenger windows already tinted. The factory does not tint the front windows because of the variety of local laws. There is really nothing wrong with tinting the remaining windows as long as local ordinances are followed.
Same as retom, not objecting to front windows -- the windshield though, that's literally how you see out of the car so I wouldn't tint it at all, not even transparent as that might introduce distortion, fogging, etc. But again, I live in CA so I'm lucky I don't have to go through the internal debate whether the tradeoff is worth it. On the other hand, I have to deal with ash raining down every year so it all balances out.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by methodtim
Same as retom, not objecting to front windows -- the windshield though, that's literally how you see out of the car so I wouldn't tint it at all, not even transparent as that might introduce distortion, fogging, etc. But again, I live in CA so I'm lucky I don't have to go through the internal debate whether the tradeoff is worth it. On the other hand, I have to deal with ash raining down every year so it all balances out.
..............and potholes ! I have spent a lot of time travelling between SF to Napa/Sonoma ................whoa !
Old 05-31-2021, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

We had the front door windows tinted on our '19Q8 to match the rear privacy glass, as someone else said. I paid about $175; this was in Tucson where window tinting is very competitive. Point being that the dealer doing the job for $300 should be a good deal if the film is to your liking, and free should be better. Plus if there's a problem, it's the dealer's responsibility.
Old 05-31-2021, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLAudiRealtor
Would you suggest the dealership put window tint on your new Audi? I've got a SQ8 on the way and the SP said he would throw the window tinting in for free. Thoughts? Is this a basic tinting? Should I take it to a shop that does this and get a better tint/more heat resistant or would the Audi dealerships' be a solid product?
Depends on the dealership. For my car,the dealership had the car ceramic tinted before I even bought it. But I still got my usual tint on top of it(Huper Optik). I have previously tried all the 'Premium' tints in market- 3M,llumar etc., but Huper Optik is the best tint out there- in terms of Heat rejection and looks great too ! The Mercedes dealership in town uses Huper Optik for tinting all their cars. So, I would ask the dealership what brand they are using.