Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

New RS Q8 - Anyone removed the rear large resonator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New RS Q8 - Anyone removed the rear large resonator?

Just received my MY21 RSQ8 last month. Exhaust is too quiet. Looking underneath, the large rear resonator might just be the culprit to why its so quiet.

Anyone removed only this resonator and add straight piping in its place? If so, how much louder is your exhaust?

Not looking to pay all that money for an Akrapovic exhaust.

Thank you!!
Old 08-15-2021, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

I’ve done it, search for the Urus exhaust thread.

it’s great without that resonator. Do it, you will not be sorry. Make sure you have the shop weld in a hanger (attached to both pipes) to replace the hanger that is attached to the resonator.

The following users liked this post:
Longbird (08-20-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stRS

it’s great without that resonator. Do it, you will not be sorry. Make sure you have the shop weld in a hanger (attached to both pipes) to replace the hanger that is attached to the resonator.

https://youtu.be/0RFCJC2AhFE
By “shop” do you mean any old muffler shop can do it? Midas? Etc?
Old 08-16-2021, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you! This is my next step for sure!
Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TahoeGator
By “shop” do you mean any old muffler shop can do it? Midas? Etc?
Correct, although I prefer the local non-chain guys. The place I went to, Broncos Muffler Store, did my last resonatorectomy - they let me drive the car onto and off the lift, and let me stand under the car as close as I wanted. I stood so close that a molten metal bounced off the floor onto my GG loafer (not steel toed). The clever name with building painted orange with blue trim make them look just like an official partner of the Denver Broncos and the National Football League, but they are not.

https://www.exhaustbrakesmufflerdenver.com/

When I went in, I did no talking. I stepped through the door and pointed to my RS and made a scissors motion with my first two fingers on my right hand. "Cuatro" he replied and I smiled and enthusiastically responded "Si, es Quattro" ("Yes, it's Quattro" is the English translation for those of you east of the Mississippi and or north of the 49th parallel). "No", he said, holding up 4 of his fingers and pointing in the direction of his 8 work bays. I left the shop and got back into my RS, pulling up to an opening door at bay #4. Greeting me was a much younger gentlemen who directed me onto the lift. Then, he said "nice Audi, but I'm a BMW guy". He went on to explain that he's almost an Audi guy, that he was going to buy an M3 but his uncle told him not to buy it. Realizing he wasn't really a BMW guy, I told him he should check out the Audi A4/S4/RS4. I told him that RS translates from the German term RennSport, which literally means racing sport - and my Audi crushes its BMW X6M Competition. He immediately recalled that he saw a Car-Wow YouTube video in which the X6M Competition won. I told him that I've driven both cars, my brother has a X6M Comp, and if we were to race, I suspect the outcome would be closer to the 9:16 point in the rainy car wow.

We proceeded to walk under the car to the two uppermost empty can resonators where I said lets cut these out. He was concerned that I was instructing him to remove the cats or other emission control elements. Once I pulled up a schematic showing the cats were built into the downpipes, he proceeded to cut, bend and weld.

Last edited by 1stRS; 08-16-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The following users liked this post:
Longbird (08-20-2021)
Old 08-17-2021, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just had the rear resonator removed and stainless mandrel bent exhaust piping welded in its place.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That’s a very nice job they did.
Here’s mine at start

Old 08-17-2021, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That’s a very nice job they did.
Here’s mine at start

https://youtu.be/oPftdGJr0Q4
thanks. It came out great. But still not loud enough.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AMS MIKE
thanks. It came out great. But still not loud enough.
Nice - looks like they only welded back a hanger bracket for the left pipe and the right one is just hanging in the middle. Was that the intent?

Do you mind sharing approx. what they charged you? You say it is still not loud enough - was it worth it? Did your dealer provide any opinion about how / if this affects your warranty?

Quick Reply: New RS Q8 - Anyone removed the rear large resonator?