Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs
My trial is poised to expire within the next week. However, as time has gone on, it has had more outages. The signal booster loses its connection all the time.

My other issue is that the induction charging pad has started overheating my phone and not charging it. I thought it was my phone, but my charging pad on my desk works fine.

Any thoughts?
What trial? In any case, here is my experience. I have had some issues with CarPlay not being able to connect from time to time, and the GPS losing all entered addresses. My Q8 spent many days at the dealer where they basically rebooted/resetted/updated/and-what-not the whole Audi MMI interface. Since then, everything is better. GPS seems ok (haven't lost data in a while) and CarPlay experiences less connection problems. For me, CarPlay works wirelessly only if the Audi app on my iPhone is active and if I connect to the 5GHz network. And sometimes, it takes a while before CarPlay kicks in, like a minute or two. (btw, I was told by the dealer (and by Audi Canada themselves) that officially, CarPlay only works if you plug in your phone with the USB cable).

HTH,

Martin.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My iphone overheats while using the wireless charging in my Q8
Old 11-14-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 729 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by SherylR
My iphone overheats while using the wireless charging in my Q8
Check out the attached Audi TSB re: Phone Box Spacers. Audi claims that by securing the phone using these spacers so it doesn’t move on the charging pad will resolve the “overheating” issue. Perhaps...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2019-11-14_064824.pdf (1.51 MB, 120 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 07:07 AM
Q8

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rogueq8
What trial?
In the States, we get a 6 month free trial for Audi Connect through AT&T.

Originally Posted by rogueq8
In any case, here is my experience. I have had some issues with CarPlay not being able to connect from time to time, and the GPS losing all entered addresses. My Q8 spent many days at the dealer where they basically rebooted/resetted/updated/and-what-not the whole Audi MMI interface. Since then, everything is better. GPS seems ok (haven't lost data in a while) and CarPlay experiences less connection problems. For me, CarPlay works wirelessly only if the Audi app on my iPhone is active and if I connect to the 5GHz network. And sometimes, it takes a while before CarPlay kicks in, like a minute or two. (btw, I was told by the dealer (and by Audi Canada themselves) that officially, CarPlay only works if you plug in your phone with the USB cable).
I've had problems with my GPS losing addresses too. It's usually resolved by rebooting the car.

Wireless CarPlay has only worked for me with the Audi app open and 5GHz connection as well. It's annoying when you have to hit the road quickly.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Q8

Originally Posted by derfA8L
Check out the attached Audi TSB re: Phone Box Spacers. Audi claims that by securing the phone using these spacers so it doesn’t move on the charging pad will resolve the “overheating” issue. Perhaps...
I have an iPhone XS Max. I doubt it moves around that much, and the bulletin specifically mentions non-plus sized devices.

I ordered an iPhone 11 Pro yesterday (should be arriving today). It'll be interesting to see if it has the same issues with both CarPlay and overheating.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Fitment says for 2019 A4 and S4 only. Has anyone used on a Q8 with successe? Do they just lay there or do they screw down or use adhesive?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

My iPhone 11 feels a bit warm when in the Q8 phone box but I would not say it is overheating or hot. My wireless CarPlay works fine but must connect through the Audi internet connection. As I don’t have a Plus account, that means my phone cannot otherwise be used for internet connectivity.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundsoftheSuburbs

Wireless CarPlay has only worked for me with the Audi app open and 5GHz connection as well. It's annoying when you have to hit the road quickly.
In my case, the connection happens automatically. I just get in, start the engine and after a while (a few seconds to a minute or two), CarPlay is on. And sometimes, my music also starts playing where it stopped last time I parked.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 729 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by tomk
Fitment says for 2019 A4 and S4 only. Has anyone used on a Q8 with successe? Do they just lay there or do they screw down or use adhesive?
Used on A8 also. Don’t know how the spacers are installed, but will ask out tomorrow when my new ride is delivered.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:16 PM
Q8

I think that in my case it is the silicone case from Apple that is causing it to heat up. Without the case, it doesn't heat up. I would think that the charger would stop charging once the battery is full, as well.

Quick Reply: Q8 Apple Carplay issues / problems