Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Q8 vs RSQ8 - comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q8 vs RSQ8 - comparison

2021 Audi RSQ8 how good is it? Review and comparison to base model Audi Q8.
The following users liked this post:
OSUMD (12-24-2020)
Old 12-19-2020, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

An interesting take. Pricing not really fair as it seems like he used base Q8 pricing against the RSQ8, yet the Q8 had options on it. So the differential is less, but it is still meaningful.

I was always curious as the RSQ8s use as a daily driver. Yes t would be fun to gas it, or take advantage of some less travelled roads, but I would not want to hear a droning V8 on longer trips. Seems like that is not an issue. So, maybe I will look this way in a few years for a “gently used” CPO RSQ8. 😎😎
Old 01-08-2021, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by huntpsu1
An interesting take. Pricing not really fair as it seems like he used base Q8 pricing against the RSQ8, yet the Q8 had options on it. So the differential is less, but it is still meaningful.

I was always curious as the RSQ8s use as a daily driver. Yes t would be fun to gas it, or take advantage of some less travelled roads, but I would not want to hear a droning V8 on longer trips. Seems like that is not an issue. So, maybe I will look this way in a few years for a “gently used” CPO RSQ8. 😎😎
You have a good point. I purchased a new 2013 RS5 Cab and sold it after a year, LOVED the car but it wasn't a great daily driver and maint cost on the sports diff, brakes, etc was just insanely expensive when you are racking up miles driving to work or hauling kids. An S5 made a much better DD. The big wheels and low profile tires made for great handling but not much fun when there is a rough road. I loved the car enough that I bought it back a few years later (found it for sale at a local Audi dealer) and I now keep it at our vacation home. It is the perfect car for the weekends and when we are on vacation. My wife wanted an RSQ8 but I talked her into an SQ8 simply to make it a bit more practical as a daily driver, kid hauler. Love the idea of more performance, but I really think my wife would regret rolling around on 22's and dealing with the extra little quirks that come with an RS car. Traffic where we live is terrible and freeways are parking lots. I am sure I RS would be more livable if we lived someone else.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just for another point on the curve.

I drove our RSQ8 from Alabama to Michigan and do not recall hearing a droning exhaust. That was before I turned off the Soundborne exhaust. I saw your post earlier today and afterwards put about 150 miles on the RSQ8 in a mix of highway and city driving while in "Auto" mode (mostly). I definitely did not hear any droning exhaust at highway speeds (70-80 mph). I do notice the exhaust note at stop light starts and entry into traffic in this mode. I may try "Comfort" to see if it makes a difference.

I actually found the "Dynamic" exhaust setting on the '19 RS5 to be a bit bothersome at highway cruising speeds. I think the RPMs got just high enough at my highway speeds to open up the valves. It was definitely noticeable and I actually turned off the Dynamic exhaust on extended highway trips.

Everyone's ear and preferences definitely vary. Definitely encourage you to keep an eye out for one of these babies... Definitely a hoot to drive! My cheeks are still tired from the smile I've had on my face all day long.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a Q8 and RSQ8, the MPG isn't that diff, the Q8 already gets terrible milage.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

2020 Q8 for my wife. Loved it but then bought her 21 RSQ8–difference like day and night. As others say, don’t notice difference in gas. The differences are in design, and of course power. Waiting to trade my Mercedes GLS 580 for 63 version to compare.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RSQ8 as DD

I cannot speak on the q8 or sq8 because I have never driven them. But what I can say is that I use the rsq8 as a DD and have taken it on a couple of trips also.

I drive it in comfort mode on the longer trips. Drives very well, quiet, smooth and passes effortlessly. You will need to push the gas pedal farther down in comfort mode to obtain the more aggressiveness of the motor.

I drive to work and back and short trips in RS1 mode which really opens it up, sounds great and puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

if you have the means I would get the rsq8. With a tune and a few alterations of the exhaust you pretty much have the performance of an urus for about 130-150K all in, instead of an urus at 250-300k. Also the lambo, for me at least, is too much attention that I don’t want. I like the fact the rsq8 looks almost like a q8 (at least that is how the general public sees it).
Old 01-10-2021, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pandacansado
I've had a Q8 and RSQ8, the MPG isn't that diff, the Q8 already gets terrible milage.
After years of driving trucks the 21.5mpg average I'm getting is pretty good to me.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by the.dude
After years of driving trucks the 21.5mpg average I'm getting is pretty good to me.
Lol, I feel this. I get 15 mpg on my Toyota Tacoma. I'd love to hoot around on a V8 and get about the same.

PS: and as an apples to mangos comparison: I am getting a stellar 22 mpg on the supercharged Q7 while averaging 70mph on traffic-free weekend drives. I will kind of miss that.