Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

RS Q8 carbon brakes a must have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RS Q8 carbon brakes a must have?

Long story short, I am being given the opportunity to get a new RS Q8 in a week instead of waiting 3-4 months. It is in the color I want and seems well equipped, though it does not have two options I was seriously considering in a custom order. In this thread I’m seeking any input on…

live without the Ceramic Brakes?

…I had been thinking I might try and do some track driving with the car and if so the ceramic brakes would presumably be nice. Audi says they can swap them out for $10k (the option is $8.5k at time of order) so I could always add them later but still begs the question, especially if I lease
the csr as I’d never upgrade a leased car.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 137 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeGator
Long story short, I am being given the opportunity to get a new RS Q8 in a week instead of waiting 3-4 months. It is in the color I want and seems well equipped, though it does not have two options I was seriously considering in a custom order. In this thread I’m seeking any input on…

…I had been thinking I might try and do some track driving with the car and if so the ceramic brakes would presumably be nice. Audi says they can swap them out for $10k (the option is $8.5k at time of order) so I could always add them later but still begs the question, especially if I lease
I have the carbon ceramic brakes on my RS7 and they're great. They came standard with the car since it was the performance spec so I never had the option not to have them. That being said considering they are an $8500 option + tax on the rsq8 I wouldn't say its that worth it. The good thing about CCB is that they last a long time, I have about 70% life left after 50k kms and a track day while other RS7 owners have already needed to replace their steel brakes out by that time. They have no brake dust which is a nice plus as well. One notable thing was after the track day my CCB brakes squeal A LOT, and I mean to the point where it hurts your ears if you have your windows rolled down, this is common with CCB once they have gone through a few heat cycles. Personally I would skip on the CCB and order the exact car you want, the 3-4 months wait till fly by and you will get a 2022 model as well.
Old 05-13-2021, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

The dustless feature and bite are what I love about ceramic brakes . I started a thread earlier trying to find ceramic pads for either the S or RS and apparently there are only rear after market ceramic pads available which I really find strange because I used to swap the OEM pads to ceramic on all my BMWS , either Akebono or Axxis .......I'm sure you can live without them but there are nice ...........
Old 05-13-2021, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts

The biggest pro for me is no brake dust, but to me that's not worth the cost; also the squeal would drive me mad, especially if I dumped in extra money for a premium option. So far, I've not felt anything lacking with steel brakes. But 1) I won't track mine and 2) I'm not getting close to 190 mph, so meh.
The following users liked this post:
TahoeGator (05-13-2021)
Old 11-13-2022, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TahoeGator

How much of RS Q8 carbon brakes you like to sell? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2023, 01:53 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, if you are going to buy used ones, please make sure, they are OK.
One of the main factors is the weight and second is measurments with Carboteq.
We often get disc for refurbishment, that look ok, but the problem is in the core of discs. You really cannot know what is going on inside. Carbon Fiber do evapurate. That is way - if you have an option, find someone who is using Carboteq (proceq).