Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

RS Q8: Three year retrospective

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2024, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
Default RS Q8: Three year retrospective

It's been a journey.

I've had my 2021 RS Q8 for a little over three years now. It's my daily driver and has just about 40k miles on it. I figured I'd post an (long-ish term, I guess?) owner's retrospective -- TL;DR: it's fun but finicky, and there's nothing out there that's quite better enough for me to move on (yet).

The (very obvious) pros:
- Consistently fast as stink when you want it to be, but also very comfortable
- The interior is just a very very nice place to be, even if it's not all that practical from a storage standpoint
- Still a very unique car, compared to the X5Ms, Cayennes, AMGs, etc. you see on a regular basis
- Quite a sleeper as well, it's very "if you know, you know" (minus the 23" rims, I guess)
- Overall just a really nice car and still a value compared to its cousins Urus, Cayenne V8, Bentayga, etc.

The cons:
- MPG
- Could be louder
- The pedal is really, awfully dead (PedalBox fixes this somewhat, but it's still awful compared to even a regular BMW)
- Really could be louder
- Reliability (see below)

I've owned a lot of cars from various countries, blah blah blah, and to summarize: This particular car has, hands down, been the most unreliable, but with annoying issues (minus the time the alternator died). The car is not falling apart on me like my BMW e90 towards the end, but it's been in the shop over and over and over again. Maybe it was a mistake to buy a car manufactured smack in the midst of the pandemic, maybe I got unlucky, maybe speed and bumps = more things just knock loose over time, who knows.

List of things that have gone wrong:
Deliver date: April 2021
- June 2021: Trunk doesn't open, trunk motor failure, replaced part
- December 2021: Persistent CEL - EVAP pump failure, replaced part
- 2022: Flagged shortcuts don't "stick" -- first sw update didn't fix issue (but I got wireless Android Auto!)
- November 2022: Rear camera recall
- July 2023: Alternator failed while driving, causing complete failure of everything, stranded, towed, alternator replaced
- November 2023: Not broken, but expensive: 6k on brakes
- 2022- June 2024: Rear passenger door doesn't unlock, sets off "central locking malfunction" error - multiple visits to dealership finally resulting in replacing door actuator
- June 2024: Excessive Coolant Temp warning - "vacuum change over valve" faulty, replaced (and replaced coolant thermostat too)
- June 2024: Headlight washer leak - replaced pipe

So yeah, that's a lot of shop visits (I didn't even list the regular maintenance ones). But I still love it regardless.

Cheers,
Tim

Last edited by methodtim; 06-11-2024 at 09:12 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by methodtim:
Farmer Harv (06-12-2024), Pabla (06-16-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I know I'm in the wrong forum, but given the mechanical similarities I'd like to add my $0.02 on my experience with a 2020 SQ7 (prestige with all options other than thermal and sport) which I purchased back in 10/2020 and now has ~45K miles. First off, I will mention a few important changes I have made: OE resonator delete, Supersprint muffler delete (mid-pipe and tips), JB4 for 20K miles of it's life and IE stage 1 ECU & TCU (93 program IE reported 690hp/780ft.lbs.) for the last 15K miles, APR filter and turbo intake pipe, full matrix program, 22" SQ8 wheels, and 034 lowing links. Secondly, I echo the OPs love for this car.

Summary: one of the best cars/engines (the EA825 is wonderful in any platform) I have owned and in my opinion best value for your dollar (even compared to the RSQ8/RS6/RS7/S8 not to mention URUS and Turbo GT). Especially considering it's a 3 row SUV. Other than self-inflicted wounds and MMI glitches, it has been very reliable and has only required routine maintenance. The exhaust is LOUD and I love it! While parked it might not catch your eye, but starting and/or idling gives it all away. Even with the turbos, this sounds close to my old Cayenne 958 GTS with secondary cats deleted and sport muffler with valves open. It adapts to all driving situations very well; light off roading (with Nitto recons), trailering jet skis/horses, spirted driving, highway cruising with the family (2 smaller dogs and 3 teenage kids), etc...

Pros:
With IE 93 program the power is ridiculous and I can manage to get wheel spin downshifting at highway speeds, also improves pedal response and smooths out any bad shifting behavior form the factory
Reliable and versatile
Interior quality and tech layout
Fantastic exhaust sound yet with the double pane windows can be a quiet cabin considering
Very comfortable and never fatiguing on road trips especially with adaptive cruise and traffic jam assist

Cons:
MPG around town is poor but on the highway I can manage ~22 in D with cylinder deactivation
Traction control still intervenes too much - even when fully "off" any degree of steering angle pulls throttle when wheel slip is detected
MMI has some glitches that I have just learned to live with - 1) changes to the left hand "favorites" on the main screen never stay 2) park assist does not automatically activate camera view when objects are detected (although there may be an updates to remedy these)
Routine maintenance can be expensive - alignment (all-wheel steering), plugs, brakes, oil change all pricey
No messaging seats like the RS5

So honestly, outside of routine maintenance, it has never been in for any other repair.

Here it is next to my recently totaled RS5...

Old 06-12-2024, 09:08 AM
JOEMB239

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HEADLIGHT WASHER??

Originally Posted by methodtim
It's been a journey.

I've had my 2021 RS Q8 for a little over three years now. It's my daily driver and has just about 40k miles on it. I figured I'd post an (long-ish term, I guess?) owner's retrospective -- TL;DR: it's fun but finicky, and there's nothing out there that's quite better enough for me to move on (yet).

The (very obvious) pros:
- Consistently fast as stink when you want it to be, but also very comfortable
- The interior is just a very very nice place to be, even if it's not all that practical from a storage standpoint
- Still a very unique car, compared to the X5Ms, Cayennes, AMGs, etc. you see on a regular basis
- Quite a sleeper as well, it's very "if you know, you know" (minus the 23" rims, I guess)
- Overall just a really nice car and still a value compared to its cousins Urus, Cayenne V8, Bentayga, etc.

The cons:
- MPG
- Could be louder
- The pedal is really, awfully dead (PedalBox fixes this somewhat, but it's still awful compared to even a regular BMW)
- Really could be louder
- Reliability (see below)

I've owned a lot of cars from various countries, blah blah blah, and to summarize: This particular car has, hands down, been the most unreliable, but with annoying issues (minus the time the alternator died). The car is not falling apart on me like my BMW e90 towards the end, but it's been in the shop over and over and over again. Maybe it was a mistake to buy a car manufactured smack in the midst of the pandemic, maybe I got unlucky, maybe speed and bumps = more things just knock loose over time, who knows.

List of things that have gone wrong:
Deliver date: April 2021
- June 2021: Trunk doesn't open, trunk motor failure, replaced part
- December 2021: Persistent CEL - EVAP pump failure, replaced part
- 2022: Flagged shortcuts don't "stick" -- first sw update didn't fix issue (but I got wireless Android Auto!)
- November 2022: Rear camera recall
- July 2023: Alternator failed while driving, causing complete failure of everything, stranded, towed, alternator replaced
- November 2023: Not broken, but expensive: 6k on brakes
- 2022- June 2024: Rear passenger door doesn't unlock, sets off "central locking malfunction" error - multiple visits to dealership finally resulting in replacing door actuator
- June 2024: Excessive Coolant Temp warning - "vacuum change over valve" faulty, replaced (and replaced coolant thermostat too)
- June 2024: Headlight washer leak - replaced pipe

So yeah, that's a lot of shop visits (I didn't even list the regular maintenance ones). But I still love it regardless.

Cheers,
Tim

You mentioned a headlight washer leak? I was unaware of this; is it only on the RSQ8 and not the SQ8? Is yours a US Model or Canadian?
Old 06-12-2024, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOASTY
I know I'm in the wrong forum, but given the mechanical similarities I'd like to add my $0.02 on my experience with a 2020 SQ7 (prestige with all options other than thermal and sport) which I purchased back in 10/2020 and now has ~45K miles. First off, I will mention a few important changes I have made: OE resonator delete, Supersprint muffler delete (mid-pipe and tips), JB4 for 20K miles of it's life and IE stage 1 ECU & TCU (93 program IE reported 690hp/780ft.lbs.) for the last 15K miles, APR filter and turbo intake pipe, full matrix program, 22" SQ8 wheels, and 034 lowing links. Secondly, I echo the OPs love for this car.
My previous daily was a pre-refresh 2017 Q7 which was absolutely bulletproof for the two years that I owned it prior to trading it in for the RS Q8. I often think I perhaps should have gotten the SQ7 instead, so very happy (and not surprised) to hear about your experience. I thought I was essentially buying a 2-row Q7 but so many components were changed, from the electric door mechanisms onward. A real argument can be made that the Q8 is way over-engineered.

Last edited by methodtim; 06-12-2024 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by joemb239
You mentioned a headlight washer leak? I was unaware of this; is it only on the RSQ8 and not the SQ8? Is yours a US Model or Canadian?
I'm not sure about any other models, but I have a US-spec RS Q8 and it came standard. They're integrated into the overall headlight assembly so easy to miss?

Old 06-12-2024, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BOASTY

Summary: one of the best cars/engines (the EA825 is wonderful in any platform) I have owned and in my opinion best value for your dollar (even compared to the RSQ8/RS6/RS7/S8 not to mention URUS and Turbo GT). Especially considering it's a 3 row SUV. Other than self-inflicted wounds and MMI glitches, it has been very reliable and has only required routine maintenance. The exhaust is LOUD and I love it! While parked it might not catch your eye, but starting and/or idling gives it all away. Even with the turbos, this sounds close to my old Cayenne 958 GTS with secondary cats deleted and sport muffler with valves open. It adapts to all driving situations very well; light off roading (with Nitto recons), trailering jet skis/horses, spirted driving, highway cruising with the family (2 smaller dogs and 3 teenage kids), etc...

Pros:
With IE 93 program the power is ridiculous and I can manage to get wheel spin downshifting at highway speeds, also improves pedal response and smooths out any bad shifting behavior form the factory
Reliable and versatile
Interior quality and tech layout
Fantastic exhaust sound yet with the double pane windows can be a quiet cabin considering
Very comfortable and never fatiguing on road trips especially with adaptive cruise and traffic jam assist

Cons:
MPG around town is poor but on the highway I can manage ~22 in D with cylinder deactivation
Traction control still intervenes too much - even when fully "off" any degree of steering angle pulls throttle when wheel slip is detected
MMI has some glitches that I have just learned to live with - 1) changes to the left hand "favorites" on the main screen never stay 2) park assist does not automatically activate camera view when objects are detected (although there may be an updates to remedy these)
Routine maintenance can be expensive - alignment (all-wheel steering), plugs, brakes, oil change all pricey
No messaging seats like the RS5

So honestly, outside of routine maintenance, it has never been in for any other repair.

Here it is next to my recently totaled RS5...
The SQ8 wheels look good on the SQ7! I need the IE tune for my SQ8. I have not read anything bad about it. I agree the EA825 is a great engine.
Old 06-13-2024, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by methodtim
A real argument can be made that the Q8 is way over-engineered.
I would argue that it was under-engineered. Re-bodied a Q7 and hoped everything worked in a different configuration rather than designing it originally.
Old 06-13-2024, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 203 Likes on 161 Posts

Well said. I've had mine 4 years and 45,000 miles.

APR tune, had cats off and then back on (not the sound or smell that I was looking for). I wish it was louder. I have straight piped exhaust - still wish it was louder.

I know, I know... If I want the sound of a GT3RS, I need to buy a GT3RS..
Old 06-13-2024, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1stRS
Well said. I've had mine 4 years and 45,000 miles.

APR tune, had cats off and then back on (not the sound or smell that I was looking for). I wish it was louder. I have straight piped exhaust - still wish it was louder.

I know, I know... If I want the sound of a GT3RS, I need to buy a GT3RS..
Ha, yes, I remember fondly reading about all your adventures with the exhaust. You're relentless.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

100 cell cats and even with stock exhaust the sound is amazing. I was at a really nice resort and the valet was gushing about the cold start up note.

Quick Reply: RS Q8: Three year retrospective