Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

SD slot

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphatero
Audi used to have the "Jukebox" feature (anybody remember that one?) and I'd load all my music on there

Then they took that away, so I loaded all my music on an SD card and left it in the slot and had all my music that way

Now they've done away with the SD card. Its like playing whack-a-mole
I put all my music on a USB C flashdrive and I plugged it in one of the rear USB ports
The following users liked this post:
imdakine1 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Audi used to have the "Jukebox" feature (anybody remember that one?) and I'd load all my music on there

Then they took that away, so I loaded all my music on an SD card and left it in the slot and had all my music that way

I have that on my 2014 Audi Q5 and also an old iPod touch in the glove box!
Old 01-17-2021, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stick_man
I put all my music on a USB C flashdrive and I plugged it in one of the rear USB ports
interesting idea, so the rear has two USB c ports and can become your media player? What format does the music need to be in?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is the rear USB C located?
​​​I can only find the 12V plug and the button to raise/lower the rear.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

He means behind the center console underneath the rear HVAC controls. I tend to wait in the car a lot, and I noticed some of my video files on my flash drive would play through the screen. I thought I would be clever and I tried to hook up a ROKU streaming stick through the USB-C port but I couldn’t get the MMI to recognize the connection. Anyone have any ideas without adding video adapters?
The following users liked this post:
Hipertec (01-17-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Rettig
He means behind the center console underneath the rear HVAC controls. I tend to wait in the car a lot, and I noticed some of my video files on my flash drive would play through the screen. I thought I would be clever and I tried to hook up a ROKU streaming stick through the USB-C port but I couldn’t get the MMI to recognize the connection. Anyone have any ideas without adding video adapters?
Roku uses HDMI for video/audio and USB for power. Unfortunately Audi doesn't have an HDMI connection in the Q8.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kirktx
Roku uses HDMI for video/audio and USB for power. Unfortunately Audi doesn't have an HDMI connection in the Q8.
Agreed, so I bought a high speed HDMI to USB-C adapter. I thought I was pretty clever and figured I could power the ROKU with the 1st USB-C port via a USB to USB-C adapter. Then plug in the HDMI adapter to USB-C to the 2nd under armrest USB-C port. Power to the ROKU from the 1st port was fine but the HDMI to USB-C connection through the 2nd port was not recognized by the MMI? It should work! I could use the cars own internal WIFI for signal to the ROKU. Any ideas why it didn't work?
Old 01-18-2021, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Interesting didn't know such adapter existed (HDMI to USB C). I have read somewhere maybe the owners manual, that there are a select file format that the Audi MMI will recognize and play. Not sure what format Roku transmits the video/audio files. For an example it could convert a format like MP4 to something unrecognizable to the MMI. It would be great if you could get this to work. Keep us posted.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tony Rettig
Agreed, so I bought a high speed HDMI to USB-C adapter. I thought I was pretty clever and figured I could power the ROKU with the 1st USB-C port via a USB to USB-C adapter. Then plug in the HDMI adapter to USB-C to the 2nd under armrest USB-C port. Power to the ROKU from the 1st port was fine but the HDMI to USB-C connection through the 2nd port was not recognized by the MMI? It should work! I could use the cars own internal WIFI for signal to the ROKU. Any ideas why it didn't work?
What format of the video files did work off the usb c thumb drive? And did it just okay on MMI automatically as if it was a music file but all of a sudden showed video?
Old 01-20-2021, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The files from my flash drive appear in the MMI alongside music files on the menu. It seems to recognize the MP4 video file. It'll play your iPhone video files all day long but won't allow streaming video from your Iphone... I keep striking out.

Quick Reply: SD slot