Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Should I add air suspension to the Q8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I add air suspension to the Q8?

Hello,

I leased an Audi Q8 with every additional package but only without the dynamic ride pack (air suspension + 4 wheel steering) and the sound upgrade. I didn't noticed it when I talked to the dealership because I thought that cars expensive as this would put air suspension at standard. Seems that I am so wrong..
I haven't signed the contract yet.. but the dealer has already approved the lease and requested the car which does not have the dynamic ride package. I have some following questions if anyone would answer...

1. Should I get air suspension? If budget is not a problem (this package has MSRP 3,700 CAD), is it air suspension > steel suspension? Especially in the winter of Canada.
2. Are Audi's air suspension and 4-wheel steering reliable for the most of time?
2. Is it possible, that this package could be added at the dealership service center? Do they usually do this job?

I personally prefer to have this package because of the existing price of this car that I am paying for. Plus this package should be useful as my last car did have this functionality, and it does look cooler when lowered.
The dealer also said that he found one available vehicle with the Dynamic ride pack and all others as this one, but the car is in Europe and takes time to be transported.

Thank you very much!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhere
Hello,

I leased an Audi Q8 with every additional package but only without the dynamic ride pack (air suspension + 4 wheel steering) and the sound upgrade. I didn't noticed it when I talked to the dealership because I thought that cars expensive as this would put air suspension at standard. Seems that I am so wrong..
I haven't signed the contract yet.. but the dealer has already approved the lease and requested the car which does not have the dynamic ride package. I have some following questions if anyone would answer...

1. Should I get air suspension? If budget is not a problem (this package has MSRP 3,700 CAD), is it air suspension > steel suspension? Especially in the winter of Canada.
2. Are Audi's air suspension and 4-wheel steering reliable for the most of time?
2. Is it possible, that this package could be added at the dealership service center? Do they usually do this job?

I personally prefer to have this package because of the existing price of this car that I am paying for. Plus this package should be useful as my last car did have this functionality, and it does look cooler when lowered.
The dealer also said that he found one available vehicle with the Dynamic ride pack and all others as this one, but the car is in Europe and takes time to be transported.

Thank you very much!
I had the option on my 17 Q7 & currently have it on my Q8. Loved it on both - absolutely no problems on either - wouldn't be without it now that I know what it's capable of.
If it's even physically possible to convert a car from steel to air with 4WS I'd be amazed if you could find a dealer that would undertake it, even for the mountain of cash it would require.
If your dealer is placing a factory order for the car, there is a small window after the order is accepted by the factory before the order is "frozen to changes" and you can add / subtract options.
In short - you can live without it but judging by your post, I'll bet it will nag you forever .
Old 02-12-2020, 12:56 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Well... it will nag him for the length of his lease....
Air suspension can be nice...it indeed should have been standard on the Q8, like the A8, but as you see it adds a cost to an already expensive vehicle...so it is optional.
From reviews I've read the 4 wheel steering is nice if you need to maneuver the large vehicle in small spaces, like carparks etc.
No way, no how would they ever install the air suspension/4WS at the dealer on any vehicle, nevermind on a rental (lease).
For the length of your lease an air suspension/4WS system should be trouble free and would be covered by warranty anyway assuming you didn't go for a super long lease. So that is nothing to worry about.
As Cad pointed out see if they can change your existing order, or tell them you want to make a new order, or get something else you like comparable with the packages you want. No need to accept what you don't really want.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Car looks much better lowered, get it.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with CadX6, go for it. I got a smoking deal on a Technik, and thought it came with air. It doesn't and I am not happy with the adaptive suspension. I had air shocks on my Cayenne before the Q8, and miss them very much. Now I feel like I am driving an 70's Caddy...floats along nicely, but when you want to push it, gets all sloppy. Still, the deal was too good to pass up so I will live with it.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Air suspension is so much smoother than metal springs. You literally waft/float over bumps versus that jarring feeling with springs. Being able to switch between firm and soft at a touch of a button is also very nice. While adjustable dampers also provides a stiffness difference, it cannot come close to the variances that air suspension is able to provide, not to mention the ride height differences you can get with air. It's well worth it in my opinion. Once you start driving cars with air suspension, it's really hard to switch back to anything else. Also, the air suspension is NOT a dealer-installed option; it must be part of the initial build.

The only drawback is that they are very expensive to replace if something goes wrong and there are more things that can go wrong as well (compressor, ride-height sensors, etc.). One air strut probably costs more to replace than four standard shocks/struts.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 933 Likes on 649 Posts

Originally Posted by Frenetic
Air suspension is so much smoother than metal springs. You literally waft/float over bumps versus that jarring feeling with springs. Being able to switch between firm and soft at a touch of a button is also very nice. While adjustable dampers also provides a stiffness difference, it cannot come close to the variances that air suspension is able to provide, not to mention the ride height differences you can get with air. It's well worth it in my opinion. Once you start driving cars with air suspension, it's really hard to switch back to anything else. Also, the air suspension is NOT a dealer-installed option; it must be part of the initial build.

The only drawback is that they are very expensive to replace if something goes wrong and there are more things that can go wrong as well (compressor, ride-height sensors, etc.). One air strut probably costs more to replace than four standard shocks/struts.
Indeed and even with extended warranty (here in Canada) from Audi Canada, the air struts are called out as something being excluded. The cost of each air strut is roughly $1600 USD.

Air suspension is absolutely great and a must have option for me, but the real question is whether or not the cost of maintenance is a blocker (for many people it is of course), then in that case stay away from them. That said, personally while I don't own a Q8, but an A8, if I was worried about the cost of each air strut I would simply not have bought that class of car. I suspect that is why on the Q8 it's an option because otherwise the car would be out of reach for an even larger set of the population which isn't good for VAG given the fact SUVs are all the hot craze these days!
The following users liked this post:
gk1 (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Indeed and even with extended warranty (here in Canada) from Audi Canada, the air struts are called out as something being excluded. The cost of each air strut is roughly $1600 USD.

Air suspension is absolutely great and a must have option for me, but the real question is whether or not the cost of maintenance is a blocker (for many people it is of course), then in that case stay away from them. That said, personally while I don't own a Q8, but an A8, if I was worried about the cost of each air strut I would simply not have bought that class of car. I suspect that is why on the Q8 it's an option because otherwise the car would be out of reach for an even larger set of the population which isn't good for VAG given the fact SUVs are all the hot craze these days!
i heard similar criticisms from my dealer when I bought my 2012 Q7 and passed on air suspension. I regretted that decision throughout my ownership. When buying my Q8 (8 years later) I asked again and was told there are very few failure issues with air suspension and maintenance is minimal. I included this option and absolutely love it.
angrypengu (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 07:03 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

AFAIK the Q8 still has electronic dampers with either air or steel springs. As an example an Q8 front air strut costs about $1500 USD which is the air "spring" and electronic variably controlled damper. The rears are $1000 for the electronic damper and $600 for the air "spring". So roughly the same.
With the steel springs...the Q8's electronic dampers costs $700 each front $1000 rear. (Presuming the steel springs never fail). So while there is still a real cost increase associated with air suspension, overall both systems are quite expensive when it comes to replacement. You could argue air may fail more often, but that might be up for some debate. Now if it was a non electronic system with a $300 damper cost then maybe that would be something. Of course the air system has the compressor and other associated parts so the probability of one part in the chain failing might be higher, but overall Audi has a well sorted system in place for many years. (Has the A8 always had air ever since it came into existence in 1994? Perhaps, not sure.)
angrypengu (02-18-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me the biggest question is how long one would plan to keep the car.
If it's a 3 year lease - no brainer. If it's a purchase and plan to keep it 10 years? I would think twice.
Air suspension has become a lot more reliable than old days but I think there is no argument that in a 10 year life span, the chances of air suspension failing are much grater than steel coils.
Also, I think it depends on the environment the car lives in. I love my air suspension at the moment but if had to commute on a daily basis on the NJ/ NY roads, I would be surprised if it lasted more than 5 years.

Quick Reply: Should I add air suspension to the Q8?