Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Should I add air suspension to the Q8?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was ordering my Q8 I test drove both and I couldn't tell the difference. Dealer had me drive on the same road, over RR tracks and had me make a u-turn to illustrate how much tighter the 4W steering was. Yes it was tighter but not a HUGE difference worth the cost upgrade. We also stood in the trunk area and lowered the rear to simulate putting in packages and such. Took WAY too long and didn't seem to make any dramatic difference. From what I understand that pump runs a lot especially on bumpy roads trying to stabilize the ride so longevity was my concern? My order got botched at the dealership and we took back our deposit and walked. Still have the bug to get a Q8 but still getting over the burn. Will check it out again but still think I'll be passing on this option.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

I looked at a lot of Q8s before purchasing. For me the standard suspension looked too high. You can clearly see the shocks in the wheel gap making it appear more truck-like. I couldn’t get over that massive wheel gap. I went with the Air and have just left it in the lowest setting (Dynamic) from day one. If you don’t care about the higher look of the steel it may not be worth the cost upgrade for the Air. As the previous poster just mentioned he couldn’t even notice the difference in ride comfort when test driving both.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the 22inch wheel package it's a must! If you go with smaller wheels you can probably get away with the standard suspension as its very good...
Old 03-03-2020, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I looked at a lot of Q8s before purchasing. For me the standard suspension looked too high. You can clearly see the shocks in the wheel gap making it appear more truck-like. I couldn’t get over that massive wheel gap. I went with the Air and have just left it in the lowest setting (Dynamic) from day one. If you don’t care about the higher look of the steel it may not be worth the cost upgrade for the Air. As the previous poster just mentioned he couldn’t even notice the difference in ride comfort when test driving both.
How much difference in height does leaving it in Dynamic mode make? We are in our “golden years” plus my wife is only 5 ft.2in. and we are concerned about ingress and egress. We test drove a Q8 with the standard suspension and it was ridiculously high and difficult for both of us.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I test drove both prior to ordering my Q8 and ended up getting the regular steel suspension. With the adjustable dampers you can set it to comfort, balanced or dynamic. I love the balanced setting it is just stiff enough to feel perfect yet not too firm. The air suspension is much more cloud like and not nearly as responsive as the steel suspension in my opinion. Also I do not tow anything so I don't need any type of load balancing. Furthermore I plan to keep the car long term and didn't want to have to worry about their reliability. I am happy with my choice I love the balanced setting of the standard suspension. Id suggest driving both. If you like a slightly stiffer more responsible suspension I think you will prefer to the steel, if you like a softer cloud like suspension like you fathers caddy you will probably like the air suspension.
Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not like your fathers caddy

Originally Posted by dolmstead
I test drove both prior to ordering my Q8 and ended up getting the regular steel suspension. With the adjustable dampers you can set it to comfort, balanced or dynamic. I love the balanced setting it is just stiff enough to feel perfect yet not too firm. The air suspension is much more cloud like and not nearly as responsive as the steel suspension in my opinion. Also I do not tow anything so I don't need any type of load balancing. Furthermore I plan to keep the car long term and didn't want to have to worry about their reliability. I am happy with my choice I love the balanced setting of the standard suspension. Id suggest driving both. If you like a slightly stiffer more responsible suspension I think you will prefer to the steel, if you like a softer cloud like suspension like you fathers caddy you will probably like the air suspension.
the air is more isolating on small sharp bumps but not cloudlike at all. The anti roll on the q8 controls body lean quite well. The steel is good but the air is much much better all around. The adjustable height is great for looks, easy entry and fuel economy on the expressway.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBoy11
How much difference in height does leaving it in Dynamic mode make? We are in our “golden years” plus my wife is only 5 ft.2in. and we are concerned about ingress and egress. We test drove a Q8 with the standard suspension and it was ridiculously high and difficult for both of us.
I don’t know the exact measurements but the difference is considerable and your dealer should have the info or you can find it online. In your situation I would definitely get the AS. It’s very low in dynamic mode and really doesn’t even look like an SUV. You likely would not have any issues getting in and out.
The following users liked this post:
BigBoy11 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe you can get an idea from these pics how low it is in Dynamic mode...

BigBoy11 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say the air suspension is worth it (the lowered look is more appealing), but by no means critical. I actually think the other part of the package - the 4WS - is more valuable, as it helps make the car more maneuverable in tight spaces and more stable when switching lanes at high speed. It reduces some (but not all) of the big boat feeling of an SUV as compared to a sedan.
BigBoy11 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jrjunior31
I don’t know the exact measurements but the difference is considerable and your dealer should have the info or you can find it online. In your situation I would definitely get the AS. It’s very low in dynamic mode and really doesn’t even look like an SUV. You likely would not have any issues getting in and out.
So far the dealer has been less than capable. You Q8 is beautiful! Love the color!!
jrjunior31 (03-08-2020)