Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs
View Poll Results: Would a carbon wrap front grill look good against black?
Yes
100.00%
No
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

SQ8 front grill (perimeter) carbon wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ8 front grill (perimeter) carbon wrap?

Hello, new Audi owner - just picked up a Mythos Black 2024 SQ8 Prestige w black optic package. Quick question - has anyone considered a carbon wrap around the perimeter of the grill? Love the black and thought a subtle contrast of the front grill against the black would show the body styling more (below pic shows grey outline but my thought was to cover with a carbon fiber wrap matching the mirror covers). Any opinions (positive or negative)? Thanks
Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Haven't tried it but that would probably look really good. Having that contrast to give it a sleek finish. If you do end up doing it, definitely post a pic
The following users liked this post:
Jawaii99 (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

This is carbon fiber on my RSQ8 for what it’s worth.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JMaePark
This is carbon fiber on my RSQ8 for what it’s worth.
THAT is the look!!! Looks amazing!
Old 05-02-2024, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawaii99
THAT is the look!!! Looks amazing!
I’ve been looking for this part. Only option I’ve found is getting custom part made and there is a company DB Carbon out of Germany I emailed with in past about making some custom carbon parts but not specifically this one. Seems they can do most any part - was about a 3 month lead time when was in touch with them last Nov/Dec. Prices quoted on parts I was looking at seemed fair considering I was focused on carbon rear diffuser compatible with tow package and does not seem to exist from any regular kit vendors so would be one off part ($2k was quote). They claim to match OEM carbon weave too.

Otherwise seems only other option I’ve found myself at least is doing RSQ8 front bumper swap and finding part to match RSQ8 grille if bumper didn’t include it. Obviously this is more expensive option but adds other changes.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SB_Hurricane
I’ve been looking for this part. Only option I’ve found is getting custom part made and there is a company DB Carbon out of Germany I emailed with in past about making some custom carbon parts but not specifically this one. Seems they can do most any part - was about a 3 month lead time when was in touch with them last Nov/Dec. Prices quoted on parts I was looking at seemed fair considering I was focused on carbon rear diffuser compatible with tow package and does not seem to exist from any regular kit vendors so would be one off part ($2k was quote). They claim to match OEM carbon weave too.

Otherwise seems only other option I’ve found myself at least is doing RSQ8 front bumper swap and finding part to match RSQ8 grille if bumper didn’t include it. Obviously this is more expensive option but adds other changes.
Thanks for the insight - checked out DB Carbon. Seems like a missed opportunity to have something like the RSQ8 grill outline available locally. Found a carbon wrap that is 'close' match to the mirror caps and am considering this route. Was quoted $1300 to wrap the perimeter grill, lower air intakes and cover the small strip in the rear to complete the look. Might just take the plunge and see how it turns out. Can always remove it if it does not look great.....
Old 05-03-2024, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawaii99
Thanks for the insight - checked out DB Carbon. Seems like a missed opportunity to have something like the RSQ8 grill outline available locally. Found a carbon wrap that is 'close' match to the mirror caps and am considering this route. Was quoted $1300 to wrap the perimeter grill, lower air intakes and cover the small strip in the rear to complete the look. Might just take the plunge and see how it turns out. Can always remove it if it does not look great.....
You wrote that you have a 2024 SQ8, right? They changed the front grill perimeter mask from the previous years, and the new design integrates front sensors into the grill frame. I might be off base here, but wondering if adding the wrap would interfere for the sensors working properly? (They did not update the 2024 RSQ8 so adding a wrap to the frame doesn't cover the sensors.)

Old 05-03-2024, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chiclet11
You wrote that you have a 2024 SQ8, right? They changed the front grill perimeter mask from the previous years, and the new design integrates front sensors into the grill frame. I might be off base here, but wondering if adding the wrap would interfere for the sensors working properly? (They did not update the 2024 RSQ8 so adding a wrap to the frame doesn't cover the sensors.)

Yes I just purchased a 2024 SQ8. I did notice the headlight washer integrated into the grill perimeter, and I believe the idea would be to ensure that it is wrapped but cut-out to ensure it is operable and not blocked. I do not believe that is a sensor (although I may be wrong). Will double check and thank you!
Old 05-03-2024, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 182 Likes on 141 Posts

While I don’t have an 8 series vehicle my Mythos black RS5 has all the carbon trim pieces. I personally like the more subtle contrast against the black. The sales manager tried to talk me out of it when I ordered the car. I’m really glad I went with it. It’s one of those things that people sometimes miss when looking at the car but then suddenly realize the trim pieces aren’t gloss black. They then start really looking close at the car. I’ve had that happen several times. I think the carbon grill trim would look great.
Just my opinion.
Jawaii99 (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd go with a carbon fiber wrap that looks like the one on the mirror covers. I think it would make the car look sportier and more upscale.
Jawaii99 (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: SQ8 front grill (perimeter) carbon wrap?