Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

SQ8 Misfire After 30k Service and BMC Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Doesn’t the BMC come pre-oiled? What type of oil and how much did you use?
Old 05-24-2024, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

all very strange, but the only variable has to be the BMC filter.

for reference, ive ran the BMC filter for a year, no issues. infact, when i had my car in for an oil change, my audi tech mentioned that he lightly oiled the filter element for me as a courtesy during the oil change. no issues before or after.

Currently i now run the APR Forged carbon intake and the APR intake element, also no issues to date.

Old 05-24-2024, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BOASTY
Doesn’t the BMC come pre-oiled? What type of oil and how much did you use?
I bought it lightly used. I bought the oil and cleaning kit and scrubbed it up and let it dry for a few days. I then used their oil which comes in a 250ml bottle. I used about 3/4 of the bottle.

It looked to me most of the excess leaked out down the passenger cylinder head. However, its oil on the outside of an engine. Engines are meant to have oil on them without major issues, right? It doesn't make sense this would be a problem even if I just dumped the oil on the valve covers directly.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is baffling. Can you tell us the initial of order of things changed? Do you put the overly oiled BMC filter in first, then drive it to have the plugs done? Did they see the oil all over while changing the plugs? Or did you put the filter in after you had the plugs done and then took it back?

By the way, I'm still not convinced it's the oil from the filter causing this, unless it is fouling something electrical. These engines will burn plenty of engine oil with no MIL.

Last edited by BOASTY; 05-24-2024 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

3/4 bottle for 1 filter is much too much. This filter was almost swimming in the oil. In addition, after lightly oiling the filter, it should also be left to dry for some time.
Despite this, I also believe that the filter was not the reason of the problem. The oil may have contaminated the MAP or intake channels, but after cleaning them, everything should return to normal. Unless the MAPs have been corrupted.
The following users liked this post:
Pathfinder7 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This is baffling. Can you tell us the initial of order of things changed? Do you put the overly oiled BMC filter in first, then drive it to have the plugs done? Did they see the oil all over while changing the plugs? Or did you put the filter in after you had the plugs done and then took it back?

By the way, I'm still not convinced it's the oil from the filter causing this, unless it is fouling something electrical. These engines will burn plenty of engine oil with no MIL.
Sequence is I bought the filter, cleaned dried and oiled it (it also dried about 24 hours after oiling). That was done around April 20. The filter was in the car and working fine until 8 May when I dropped it off for oil and plug change. I got it back that day and when I started the next morning, the CEL was on. I dropped it back off that day (9 May) and it was with the dealer until yesterday.

Even with the over oiling, it performed just fine for over two weeks. In fact, I made quite a few hard launches during that time (6-8) while trying to learn how launch control worked. Not even the slightest hesitation.

I would buy the fact that internal electronics may have been affected, but it's only the two MAP sensors in the path that I know. One was covered in filter oil (the one servicing banks 1-4). Both were removed and thoroughly cleaned, then, they were swapped to the other bank. If one was bad, the problem should have moved to the other bank (5-8). That was not the case and the misfires continued on cylinder 1 & 2.

As you say, baffling.

Thanks again to all for their input and suggestions.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

This sequence leads me to believe it’s something the shop did. You really need a full scan. Any VAG enthusiasts in your area with a VCDS willing to scan your car?
Old 05-24-2024, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also check to make sure the oil fill cap is closed properly and the filler neck is not damaged and PCV pipe is connected. Air leaks can also cause misfires.
Pathfinder7 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This sequence leads me to believe it’s something the shop did. You really need a full scan. Any VAG enthusiasts in your area with a VCDS willing to scan your car?
Thank you for the insight. Im pretty sure I still have my old VCDS around somewhere. I had used it for my 2011 A6, do you think it will work for this newer system?
Old 05-25-2024, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

No that will not work. You need HEX V2 or HEX NET.
Pathfinder7 (05-25-2024)

Quick Reply: SQ8 Misfire After 30k Service and BMC Filter