Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

SQ8 Oil change DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Bino
Didn't work on my 2023 SQ8. The oil filter housing is blocked by a turbo oil line. I had to go back to the dealer and get a seal for the oil line. I wish mine was that easy. Removing the oil line every time I do an oil change is just something else that could possibly go wrong.

But thanks for the write up.

That looks like there's room to wiggle it out, similar to mine. Tilt the cap forward
Old 05-02-2024, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ecloumd
That looks like there's room to wiggle it out, similar to mine. Tilt the cap forward
I was going to ask if those lines can’t also be gently pushed aside long enough only to sneak it past but tilting it forward looks viable too. I have a 2023 and your photo does look different from the video someone else shared of process on SQ8. Watching another RSQ8 oil change video they seem to use their hands to push the lines aside just enough to slip old filter out and then again to slip filter back in. Would seem like a huge design fail (even by super car standards and their noted intricacies for simple maintenance jobs which this car isn’t) to have to disconnect oil lines for an oil change. Especially if it was something they changed mid design cycle in last model year before a refresh.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That picture has the lines pushed out as far as I could. I put some serious pressure on them to get as much clearance as possible. The line on the left was against the filter housing when I first saw the oil filter housing

Tilting it forward didn't work either. Remember you have to clear the oil filter itself before you can get and angle that would make a difference.

I pick up 5 gaskets i should be good until 25k.

Also, the bolt holding down the line you have to be very careful not to drop it. The other thing about removing the line is that you can't see the line once you put everything back together so you can start the vehicle and check for leaks. Very **** poor design on Audi (VW) part.

Anyone else having these issues? I need to get some custom lines so I can avoid this, but I haven't found a shop yet.

Last edited by Bino; 05-07-2024 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

That picture has the lines pushed out as far as I could. I put some serious pressure on them to get as much clearance as possible. The line on the left was against the filter housing when I first saw the oil filter housing

Tilting it forward didn't work either. Remember you have to clear the oil filter itself before you can get and angle that would make a difference.

I pick up 5 gaskets i should be good until 25k.

Also, the bolt holding down the line you have to be very careful not to drop it. The other thing about removing the line is that you can't see the line once you put everything back together so you can start the vehicle and check for leaks. Very **** poor design on Audi (VW) part.

Anyone else having these issues? I need to get some custom lines so I can avoid this, but I haven't found a shop yet.
This is very strange that Audi changed the mounting points of oil line. In previous SQ8 it looked like this:

Since I am planning to change the oil in my new Cayenne Turbo after first 3k km, I checked how it is solved in this car. Oil lines do not interfere with filter replacement. Cayenne Turbo MY2024 has the latest version of the V8 engine using mono-scroll turbochargers and this is just a developed version of V8 mounted in SQ8/RSQ8.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes, yours is different. Like most videos I have seen online all have your current configuration. I have talked to a few dealers including Lambo ones and they all remove the line.

I really need to get some custom lines made.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 810 Likes on 619 Posts

Yes, yours is different. Like most videos I have seen online all have your current configuration. I have talked to a few dealers including Lambo ones and they all remove the line.

I really need to get some custom lines made.
All V8 cars, including Urus, that I saw did not have this oil line. This must be a "creative improvement" in SQ8 models from 2023.
As I wrote, the latest Cayenne 2024 with V8 engines also do not have the oil line that makes access to the oil filter difficult.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted to change my 2023 SQ7 today and have the same issue with the lines. What was the part number on the gaskets @Bino ?
Old 06-04-2024, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry I don't have a part number. When I went to the dealer to ask how they perform the oil changes the mechanic handed me 5 and said "enjoy"
The following users liked this post:
Philth (06-10-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I called my dealer as well, they seemed to think i was crazy when I explained the lines but claim to have 2 o-rings set aside. i'm not 100% sure they got the correct ones, but once I get confirmation of the correct i'll share the numbers for those who may need.
Old 06-08-2024, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just went to change the oil in my ‘24 SQ8 the passenger oil feed line was damn near right over the center of the filter housing I bent it out of the way a little bit Do people really remove the feed line every oil change?

Quick Reply: SQ8 Oil change DIY