Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2020, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TPMS

So I have had my 2021SQ8 Prestige for about 1 month. The temps in Dallas TX dropped the other day and my low pressure light came on. It said to check all tires fill with proper psi and reset system. I completed this task and all is good. My question.....Is there a screen that would provide you the pressure of each individual tire? It was such a hassle having to check all tire pressures to find only one that was low.
Old 11-27-2020, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to Audi. Quick answer, no way to know which tire, if any, is not at the correct air pressure
Old 11-27-2020, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by kirktx
So I have had my 2021SQ8 Prestige for about 1 month. The temps in Dallas TX dropped the other day and my low pressure light came on. It said to check all tires fill with proper psi and reset system. I completed this task and all is good. My question.....Is there a screen that would provide you the pressure of each individual tire? It was such a hassle having to check all tire pressures to find only one that was low.
Yes, if you have TPMS based on wheel sensors. Then it shows the pressure and temperature of each wheel.
If you do not have this system, you only get a warning when the tire pressure drops.
It looks like this:

Old 11-29-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by retom
Yes, if you have TPMS based on wheel sensors. Then it shows the pressure and temperature of each wheel.
If you do not have this system, you only get a warning when the tire pressure drops.
It looks like this:
U.S. models do not have wheel sensors.
Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Is the infrastructure already there if you were to add TPMS Wheel Sensors? Wheel sensors are reasonably priced, but only if the vehicle can read the sensors. I have had this on many cars including Mercedes, Cadillac, Tesla ect. Hard to understand why Audi has not done this already. As technically advanced as these vehicles are what is the issues with many features being disabled/not installed for US autos?
Old 11-29-2020, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 811 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by kirktx
Thanks for all the responses. Is the infrastructure already there if you were to add TPMS Wheel Sensors? Wheel sensors are reasonably priced, but only if the vehicle can read the sensors. I have had this on many cars including Mercedes, Cadillac, Tesla ect. Hard to understand why Audi has not done this already. As technically advanced as these vehicles are what is the issues with many features being disabled/not installed for US autos?
You can retrofit it but it is not just an easy coding. You need 4 sensors + control unit + wiring + coding. I don't understand why it is not offered on US market. However, I think that this option is offered in RSQ8 also in USA. Perhaps some US owner of RSQ8 can confirm this?
Old 11-29-2020, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

Two schools of thought on TPMS. On Audi, no worries on calibration if you change out wheels (e.g. winter wheel exchange), but you lose the individualized pressure.
The following users liked this post:
vhtran (11-30-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can confirm the RSQ8 has actual sensors.

I also had TireRack put their sensors in my winter tire/wheel setup and they work just fine.

Originally Posted by retom
You can retrofit it but it is not just an easy coding. You need 4 sensors + control unit + wiring + coding. I don't understand why it is not offered on US market. However, I think that this option is offered in RSQ8 also in USA. Perhaps some US owner of RSQ8 can confirm this?
Old 11-30-2020, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Why Audi continues to lag behind the rest of the automobile world on this feature is a complete mystery. You spend near 6 figures on a car, and get information worth nothing. We left Michigan for Arizona a couple weeks ago. The overnight temps had cooled quite a bit so I got a pressure warning. Of course, no exact pressures, and not even an indication of which tire. When you click on the "more information" button it tells you, as above, to check pressures, adjust, and reset. That "information" is less than useless. I did check all tires and they were fine; just a little lower because of the temperature. But even after we had gone a hundred miles and the temperature and tires warmed up, the darned system continued to give the warning. It's little things like this that have me inclined to not go near an Audi showroom again. This is our first Audi and we like the basic car, but the various electronic idiosyncrasies are driving us crazy, even 16 months into ownership.
Old 11-30-2020, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Funny thing, I like how Audi goes with theirs. I don't have to worry about getting new sensors (they can be expensive) and switching seasonal tires is much easier. If TPMS light triggered, I check and add air since the car comes with a compressor anyway. But I do understand with "even cheaper cars have that", my base model Nissan Rogue has it and I do have that screen on constantly. =)

Quick Reply: TPMS