Audi Q8 Discussion forums for the Audi Q8 SUVs

Tracking RSQ8

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Tracking RSQ8

RSQ8 - anyone track theirs?

Thinking of tracking, have only done a handful of laps in a Urus, Corvette 3LT Z51, 911 GT3 RS

Have a 21' RSQ8 on 24in Vossen HF2, has a pedal commander, otherwise stock.

Vriedstein - Ultrac Vorti is Vredestein's Max Performance Summer tire [https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-ultrac-vorti](https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-ultrac-vorti)

First time I ever tracked, it was the Urus and it wasn't a lot of fun, but by the time I tracked the Urus, Vette, and then 911 I was having a load of fun. So could have been the car, could have been the driver LOL.

Is this a crazy idea, what should I expect in terms of wear, it's about 1 hr of tracking with a coach. Same track as I did before.

Should I be worried about various warranty items not being covered after a track day, etc. Basically what should I know, and is this a crazy idea.

note: I've got a e92 M3 I am getting ready for the summer again, I realize it maybe more appropriate but I have a chance to go this weekend and its not ready
Old 07-04-2024, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think wheels/tires will be your issue - I'd worry about brakes. Are all RSQ8's fitted with CCB? Wearing out CCBs is a VERY expensive endeavor.

I use my SQ8 to tow my S2000 to the track.
Old 07-04-2024, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CYANiDE_
I don't think wheels/tires will be your issue - I'd worry about brakes. Are all RSQ8's fitted with CCB? Wearing out CCBs is a VERY expensive endeavor.

I use my SQ8 to tow my S2000 to the track.
Steel didn't get CCB
Old 07-04-2024, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Longbird
Steel didn't get CCB
See if there are any upgraded track pads available. That with some DOT4 fluid should get you going. Might need to pull in a bit early - most heavy cars I've seen on track (M5, RS6, E63) tend to get a bit iffy towards the end due to brake fade.
Old 07-05-2024, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CYANiDE_
See if there are any upgraded track pads available. That with some DOT4 fluid should get you going. Might need to pull in a bit early - most heavy cars I've seen on track (M5, RS6, E63) tend to get a bit iffy towards the end due to brake fade.
OK, I'll look into identifying how to tell. I suspect it's less grip or something similar.

There's some new low dust pads out, but not sure they're track. When I search the forums, Reddit, the web, outside of Audi lapping this ring, I can't find any reference to someone tracking this thing lol.
​​

I wonder how the new m5 will perform since its so much heavier now lol.

Old 07-05-2024, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 812 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Longbird
OK, I'll look into identifying how to tell. I suspect it's less grip or something similar.

There's some new low dust pads out, but not sure they're track. When I search the forums, Reddit, the web, outside of Audi lapping this ring, I can't find any reference to someone tracking this thing lol.
​​

I wonder how the new m5 will perform since its so much heavier now lol.
The RSQ8 is not a race track car. It is too heavy to provide real fun from extreme driving. Of course you can take it to the race track - nothing wrong should happen. This should also not affect the car warranty. Just take into account the wear of tires, brake pads and rotors. Before doing so, top up the oil to the max level and increase the tire air pressure by approximately 5% above the recommended level. Also switch VC to RS screen where you can observe the oil temperature in the engine and transmission.
Old 07-05-2024, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by retom
The RSQ8 is not a race track car. It is too heavy to provide real fun from extreme driving. Of course you can take it to the race track - nothing wrong should happen. This should also not affect the car warranty. Just take into account the wear of tires, brake pads and rotors. Before doing so, top up the oil to the max level and increase the tire air pressure by approximately 5% above the recommended level. Also switch VC to RS screen where you can observe the oil temperature in the engine and transmission.
Retom! Hi friend, thanks for those tips. Yes I understand it's not a track car.. And those track times on the ring are for show. Hopefully it's a reasonable amount of fun. The Urus was not really, but my first 3 laps ever on a track so could have been that.

Unfortunately I left that experience wanting a 911 GT3 RS
​​​​​LOL
Old 07-06-2024, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

I have been on the track in most Audis, but not the RSQ8. As others have said, it's heavy and the brakes could be an issue. My advice is just don't dive-bomb corners and you should be fine for some track time. Also, pay attention to tire pressures and let air out if they overheat (which is likely) to maintain reasonable pressures. Just re-fill the air before you travel home.

Use the track to get to know the capabilities of the RSQ8, not to get the best lap times.
Old 07-07-2024, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Define what you mean by tracking? Are you looking for people that have run around the track for a few laps or people that routinely take the RSQ8 to the track?

And... what do you hope to gain from this experience?

When Porsche first introduced the Cayenne, a number of members wanted to take them out onto the track. You can certainly get around the track, and surprisingly they do a very good job. But you will not be able to overcome physics (you are looking at 3 tons) and you will soon be made aware of why the brakes are so massive on these vehicles.

As was mentioned by a few other posters, keep an eye on your tires and brakes. They are consumable, and you will use them up.

Enjoy.