Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Anyone upgrade the standard audio system in their R8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone upgrade the standard audio system in their R8?

So I was able to find an R8 at MSRP for my dad to pick up, probably because I am buying an S5 from that dealer, plus the salesman is a nice guy and he likes chatting with me as we have a lot of the same interested (he is also a top 10 Audi salesman in the county). Anyways, the car was perfect, just what he and I would chose: Daytona Grey with CF Side Blades, CF Interior, Premium, Grey leather with alcantara and Nav. BUT it does not have B&O (why the person who originally ordered the car decided against the B&O system, I have no idea, but I am sure he would have chosen it had he known how awful the standard system is). So, as I mentioned, the standard sound system is absolutely horrendous (7 speakers with only 140 watts!!!), and is something I wouldn't even expect standard on a Honda Civic, let alone a 150 grand supercar that touts itself to be similar in equipment to high end luxury cars. The system is, altogether, bad, but the worst part is that the base is terrible as it does not have a dedicated subwoofer as far as I know, (although the fact that it has an odd number of speakers hints to the fact that it probably does have one somewhere), and instead uses the mid speakers on the doors for the base. When the volume is turned up, not only is it distorted, but the computer in the system automatically lowers the sound when the music plays powerful beats and then raises it back again when the beat is finished (remember when cars first came out with that audio level "feature" which would automatically turn up the volume at high speeds to correct road noise, which was hated or turned off by most people I know... well imagine that happening every few seconds during pretty much any song at moderate to somewhat high volume levels).

So, my question is not where I can use the comm number to find the guy who ordered it and punch him in the nads (lol, and no offense meant towards people who didn't opt for the B&O), but to see if anyone here has upgraded their base audio system in the R8, or if anyone knows of or has been able to retrofit the optional B&O sound system. The goal is not to make a monster system with amps in the trunk and giant subs behind the seats, but to just make it more bearable. I have not heard the B&O in the R8, but if we could find a way to upgrade the audio so that it at least matches the performance of the standard HK system in the BMW 335i, then we would be more than satisfied. He doesn't want to pay much more than 2 grand (which is around the cost of the B&O system when ordering the car), and he doesn't want the job to be very intrusive (meaning that all he really wants is new speakers and possibly a new amp, such that it looks OEM, which means that only 7 or so speakers can be installed as we don't want to add any custom speaker housings). Any help or even direction towards someone who can help would be great, as we don't want to give the R8 to a car audio shop that has never worked on an R8.

As a final note, I do not want this to start a flame war like the one that was started by "R8ordered" a few pages back. This is the opinion held by me and my father. We both will drive the car, and some goes for my S5, or at least once I get it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone upgrade the standard audio system in their R8?

I think it is best to ask the guys at the dealership for part numbers and if the guys that do the electrical work on the car can and/or will do it.

I doubt it can be done. Or at least I doubt it is worthwhile.

T.