Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

changes in 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default changes in 2010?

Anyone have any info on what differences there will be between the 09's and the 10's? Any chance of a double clutch s-tronic instead of the single clutch r-tronic? Thanks.

Harinder
Old 04-04-2009, 02:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No S-Tronic and maybe a engine upgrade for the R8 V8.

Jarod.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm on the list, with expected delivery this summer. Just trying to decide if it is worth it to wait for a 2010 instead. Since they're not giving any break off of MSRP, why take the hit of a year older car rather than waiting a couple of months for the new model? Only uncertainty is the r-tronic. I plan on using this as a daily driver, but haven't driven the r-tronic before, and don't know how it will be in city traffic. Thanks.

Harinder
Old 04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what and when to order

You say you have "expected delivery this summer." Have you actually placed your order and had it linked to an allocation? It seems that, 6 months ago that point was 4 to 6 months from actual delivery. But I think with the drop in demand, possibly that time has shortened, strictly based on online chatter.

My dealer is intimating that perhaps we'll be writing an order "in a few months." At the same time he stated that the time frame I'll be ordering in will be for a 2010. He had no info re any differences. The ACOA Quattro Quarterly opined a while back that there might be some minor tweaks to the 4.2 v8 in store but I haven't seen anything re that lately.

Seems to me that the '08/'09 changeover (as far as orders) came about last April or May. He also said we'd be looking at a "10% deposit," which is up from the $7500 I heard quoted when I first put up $1000 to get on "the list." Guess they're tired of having people walk on their ordered R8's!!

After that discussion, they contacted me to "be sure we've got your mailing address correct". I heard the rumor that, "Audi is checking on their R8 lists to see who's still 'firm'." Not sure whether that's true or just speculation.

As far as the R-tronic, I drove one at the R8 course at Infineon raceway. I did the course in a 6 spd., but asked to do a lap in an R-tronic to try it out. In that short exposure, I hated it. I found it very tricky for slow speed manuevering, confusing to have the paddles fixed and the wheel turning and generally not nearly as fun to drive as the 6 spd. People I know who have had more experience of it say it's the greatest thing in the world for fast lapping or road driving, but not so great for town/traffic.
It is definitely NOT an "automatic transmission," in the sense some might expect. Most people who have them say, "drive it like a manual and you'll do fine." Given the price differential and the appeal of the gated 6 spd., I plan to stick with that. Rumor I heard about S-tronic was that it won't fit in the R8.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't heard of any significant changes. Definitely no change in transmissions. Why not take an R8 that's already on the ground? I've got a 6 speed loaded black, black, and all 3 carbon packages. If you're interested.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

willyjp,

Actually, my slot is a friend's who no longer wants it. Dealer has been a little cagey and I may have no option other than wait for the 2010. I'm really bummed about your r-tronic description. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I really was looking for something closer to an auto with a manual mode. I really would like to drive one before spending 140 large. 90% of my driving would be commuting so I'm not sure I can go back to a stick again. Thanks for your help.

aofc__rr

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for a mugello blue or daytona gray with carbon blade, carbon interior, b&o stereo, tuscan brown interior, premium and nav.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by harinder
willyjp,

Actually, my slot is a friend's who no longer wants it. Dealer has been a little cagey and I may have no option other than wait for the 2010. I'm really bummed about your r-tronic description. Maybe I'm just getting old, but I really was looking for something closer to an auto with a manual mode. I really would like to drive one before spending 140 large. 90% of my driving would be commuting so I'm not sure I can go back to a stick again. Thanks for your help.

aofc__rr

Thanks for the offer, but I am looking for a mugello blue or daytona gray with carbon blade, carbon interior, b&o stereo, tuscan brown interior, premium and nav.
Sadly, this is the case. At highway speeds, Auto/Sport Auto is great. At low speeds, Manual is best (Manual in sport is even better).

The main issues are:
--Slow driving in first gear (pulling slowly ahead in traffic, or into a driveway let's say) get's a little jumpy. The car lurches forward like it just wants to go.
--Shift between 1st and 2nd is... awkward to say the least. Your passengers might hit their head on the dash. It's usually best to let off the gas a bit when you feel it coming. In manual or sport manual, you've got much more control and the shift is usually fairly smooth
Old 04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

harinder, good luck Mugello Blue was discontinued earlier this year so now you can either pay $2500 for an audi exclusive or buy a used one.
I would not want to commute in traffic in an R8 especially with an R-tronic.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:08 PM

Ive been driving the r tronic in LA almost everyday for well over a year now. NOT CONFUSING! IT IS GREAT!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ugh! I really need to find someone around here who will let me try an r-tronic. Any takers???

Quick Reply: changes in 2010?