Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Lamborghini Gallardo versus Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed.

The R8 is a fantastic car, for certain. But it was meant to be a 911 killer, and it is in spades (I'd take it over a GT2, I don't care the performance difference).

But the G-car has the look, a bomber chassis, a better motor, it is more exotic (V10, lambo aura) it is faster, it is still AWD, and it is a fantastic drivers car. New vs. new, the Gallardo costs much more money. But used vs. inflated new cost... the G-car is more for the money, simple as that.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default without making this too long.

you make a reasonable statement. but the R8 itself has been tested at 3.9 seconds to 60 and a corresponding sub 12.5 sec 1/4.

it is only with the advantage of a DSG that the M3 could potentially keep up with a manual R8 on a straight. particularly from a roll. even with the DSG, however, the M3 will not be able to keep up with one on a track or around the bends. if the M3 is equipped with a manual then forget it.

on a side note- all of these new DSG equipped cars have an enormous advantage in acceleration. the GTR's ring time has more to do with its DSG than its awd system imo. were the R8 available with DSG it would probably obliterate the GTR.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yeah, but I do love the R8....I just can't bring myself to buy it....yet...

the inflated cost is where my point was coming from as well....It is a def buy for 115k, but inflate it to 150k+, and you have to consider some very exotic cars.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends if owners/drivers value living their lives 1/4 of a mile at a time or not;-)
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: The Gallardo V10 is essentially based on the pre-FSI but chain driven Audi V8. No issues

Cool thanx April for the input on the Gallardo.

Me- I would rather buy the exotic Lamborghini than the overpriced Audi R8. Heck both cars are overpriced but I have always wanted a Lambo since I was a kid. I never drooled over an R8 then again, there were no R8 years ago either. So.Go figure
Old 07-25-2008, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is interesting is how differently they drive despite sharing so many parts.

To my eyes the Gallardo looks much better. It's got a massive torquey punch, and the sound when you wack open the throttle makes you drive around with the windows down;-) However, it feels a bit heavy and clumsy sometimes - even in corners. Feedback is ok, but not as good as it could be. Some people may like the freight train sensation of weight, but I do not.

The R8 is far more sensitive to throttle inputs in corners. You can adjust the attitude of the nose and tail just with tiny motions of the gas pedal. And the feedback is just fantastic - you know everything that is going on with the chassis.

I have not heard of any pattern of problems with either the Gallardo V10 or the RS4 based V8. Just the early E-Gear systems.

The front trunk in each car is good for nothing more that a briefcase or single change of clothes. That awd system takes up all the room. However, that extra length in the R8 means you can actually stash a decent amount of stuff behind the seats.I'm a bit spoiled in this respect, because our Ferrari's trunk can fit a full sized ice chest, two paper grocery bags, and some odds and ends, while there is room behind the seats for a small garment bag and laptop case. It makes the difference between a road trip car and an around town only car. If we bought a G, we'd have to ship clothing ahead, collect it, and send used stuff back home.

Several friends have now driven the Lambo 560-4, and say it's a vast improvement, but still has that heavy locked down feel.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I love the R8, but I don't think it could touch the GTR's time w/o another 100hp.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: you've got the R8 confused with your RS4.

Of course the R8 is faster- but it also costs twice as much as the new M3!!! I would hope that Audi R8 is faster, it would be sad if a cheaper can whipped it. But then again the Nissan GTR is faster for half price. But I like the R8 and Gallardo better. And of course the Ferrari F430 Scuderia is the best sports car just about. But at 300k loaded, way more than either the Gallardo or R8.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Lamborghini Gallardo versus Audi R8

Having owned both, I would say the R8 is a way better car then the Gallardo. The Gallardo is poorly built, is dated inside, and has many foibles which just should not be there with a car of its value (in fact in any car)

Examples: Inside door leather suffers from Mould growth if car left out in rain for long periods of time. (Apparently this is a common problem). The same happens in the luggage compartment.

The car is very uncomfortable on any long distance, the suspension and seats offer no compromise.

Visibility especially through the small triangle which forms the space between the A pillar and the side window is severely restricted around corners, which does not bode well for fast cornering.

Also, bear in mind servicing and parts are way more expensive on the Lambo (example a replacement Front Disc costs £1,100 ($2,200) here in the UK)

As a final point, the clutch on G's especially earlier models have been known to last 1500 miles if you're lucky. This is complete madness, and makes ownership ridiculously expensive.

In driving the, the R8 is way more enjoyable, handling better, being almost as fast and just being a much more pleasant place to be sitting.

The R8 is an everyday car, whilst the Gallardo is not.

As a final point, anyone who might think the Lambo would get more attention than the R8 is wrong. The R8 gets far more looks, and attention from almost everyone. The best thing is the attention the lambo used to get was often derogatory. Whilst all you get in the R8 is waves, thumbs up, and nice comments.

In summary, if you are mega rich and can afford a collection of exotica, the Lambo would of course be a nice addition. It does looks fantastic! But, if there is a choice between one or the other, and you want to use your `supercar' on a regular basis, then the R8 is the way to go.