Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

Problem when idling

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem when idling

I have a problem with the car, when idling. The revs go from 800 down to 600 and back up to 800. I've taken the car to service but they say it's the first time they've encountered this and after two weeks they still can't give me an answer.

Does anyone have any ideas? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
T.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DukeLeto
I have a problem with the car, when idling. The revs go from 800 down to 600 and back up to 800. I've taken the car to service but they say it's the first time they've encountered this and after two weeks they still can't give me an answer.

Does anyone have any ideas? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
T.
i get that too, but i don't let it idle long. i usually drive off right away and no problems. car needs to get warm. when cold the engine seems to snap crackle and pop- and is worse after a few days of not driving. never had any issues from it.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I get it all the time. When the car starts it's normal for the engine to warm up and to have higher revs(1100, I think?), but I also get it when stopping at a traffic light, when standing still, or whenever the gas pedal is not being pressed.

It's puzzling.

T.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DukeLeto
I get it all the time. When the car starts it's normal for the engine to warm up and to have higher revs(1100, I think?), but I also get it when stopping at a traffic light, when standing still, or whenever the gas pedal is not being pressed.

It's puzzling.

T.
that is not normal. my car only does that initially on start up with a cold engine. after that it idles smoothly.

if your dealer has had it for two weeks- you need to call AOA and complain.

by the way- is yours an r-tronic? if so it is probably complicated- a gear or software issue. if it is a manual it shouldn't be so hard to fix.

i have a manual.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just chiming in from over at the RS4 board. Hey there.

The 4.2 FSI motor is extremely notorious for carbon build-up on the intake valves. It must be taken apart and cleaned out(about 6-8 hours labor on an RS4) every once in a while(it can vary from 5000miles to 20000) or you will get rough idles, reduction in power(it's gradual buildup so you won't really notice it), and eventually check engine lights from all of the timing retardation that has to happen due to the reduction in swift air flow(which is what reduces the power output).

I just thought you guys should know this is an issue with the R8 motor as well and will haunt it for the life of the car.

Here is a write up to show it better. The pictures are of an RS4 motor which is practically the same as the R8
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2746474

Here is the Volkwagen AG patent write up explaining how these FSI motors are plagued with this issue and that there isn't much to stop it.

http://www.mycar.net/volkswagen/6866031.html

You can reference the patent number in that link on the US government patent site for a little more info.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is your fix-- Guaranteed...Have your dealer perform the basic setting on the clutch. Done.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good day,if its a 2.0TFSI it could be the one way valve on top off your tappet cover,remember you got positive crank case ventilation,this will only hapens when idling,normaly enigne is fine when driving.it bolts to your tappet cover.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by willem01
Good day,if its a 2.0TFSI it could be the one way valve on top off your tappet cover,remember you got positive crank case ventilation,this will only hapens when idling,normaly enigne is fine when driving.it bolts to your tappet cover.
Lol SWEET! 2.0T R8! V10s beware!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AofC_RR
Lol SWEET! 2.0T R8! V10s beware!
Hah.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

weird because my scud does the same thing at startup but even goes down below 500. it actually almost stalled once. does it once in a while and havent taken it to get it checked yet because its brand new so i assumed there was nothing wrong. besides that, everything functions and drives completely normal.

Quick Reply: Problem when idling