Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

a question for those who actually own a R8

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question for those who actually own a R8

I am a long time Porsche owner and I'm not thrilled with the upcoming 991 for a variety of reasons. I am seriously thinking about switching to a R8V10 spyder 6 speed. I've driven the spyder and loved it. My question relates to the attention that an R8 brings. You can drive a 911 in pretty much anonimity - the R8 seems to attract attention like a parade float. I'm just wondering (especially in this tough economic climate) how you R8 drivers feel about driving such an obviously expensive and visible car and how you have been "treated" on the road by other drivers??

Thanks!!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alan(NJ)
I am a long time Porsche owner and I'm not thrilled with the upcoming 991 for a variety of reasons. I am seriously thinking about switching to a R8V10 spyder 6 speed. I've driven the spyder and loved it. My question relates to the attention that an R8 brings. You can drive a 911 in pretty much anonimity - the R8 seems to attract attention like a parade float. I'm just wondering (especially in this tough economic climate) how you R8 drivers feel about driving such an obviously expensive and visible car and how you have been "treated" on the road by other drivers??

Thanks!!
I was granted an extended 'loan' of an R8. During that time I can safely say that the car is anything but anonymous. I have had 911s, a Ferrari 348ts, Lotus Esprit S4, and still have an NSX, and the R8 brought more attention by far. Here in the Midwest people would pull up next to you on the highway and yell, while driving, asking if it was a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I would typically say, 'Nope! It's an Audi,' which was almost always met with a quizzical look, and the words, 'A what'.

Most people loved the car. You will always get some clown who hates you because they are broke and cannot fathom having a car like that, but you should know that going in. That said, just figure out if YOU enjoy the car, and to heck with everyone else. It really is a wonderful car.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
I was granted an extended 'loan' of an R8. During that time I can safely say that the car is anything but anonymous. I have had 911s, a Ferrari 348ts, Lotus Esprit S4, and still have an NSX, and the R8 brought more attention by far. Here in the Midwest people would pull up next to you on the highway and yell, while driving, asking if it was a Ferrari or Lamborghini. I would typically say, 'Nope! It's an Audi,' which was almost always met with a quizzical look, and the words, 'A what'.

Most people loved the car. You will always get some clown who hates you because they are broke and cannot fathom having a car like that, but you should know that going in. That said, just figure out if YOU enjoy the car, and to heck with everyone else. It really is a wonderful car.
I agree. I've been in them and around them since day one. They gather attention everywhere. I can only say, if you're going somewhere and you do not want attention thrown at you, drive another car. In no way would I say not to buy the R8, it just does take some getting used to when it comes to attention on the road and in public places. Other than that, it's one hell of a car!

If you really are looking for something special, then inquire about the R8 Spyder GT with your dealer. There will be limited numbers and just like the regular R8 GT coupe, it will have more power and special options.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Alan(NJ),

I too came from Porsches, most recently a Porsche Turbo. The R8 does attract attention like a parade float. I don't live far from NJ and if you'd like a ride to see how much attention the car gets, I invite you to take a ride with me. PM me for details. To tell you the truth, I'm more concerned these days about avoiding people who are focusing too much on the car and not enough ont he road. I don't have a R8 V10 Spyder. I have a R8 V10 Coupe. I just don't like spyders for some reason.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

...in my book an R8 should not be a cause for commotion unless you add a loud AWE exhaust video coming soon