Audi R8 Discussion forum for the Audi R8 and its variants

R8 Styling...Opions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R8 Styling...Opions

I really like the way this car looks and I would definatley not kick it out of the garage. However the styling looks somewhat Japanese. Not like this is bad but I could see other badges on it. As a matter of fact allot of European cars are looking Japanese while Japanise cars are beginning to look a little European.
Any other opions on this?
Old 10-21-2006, 09:50 AM

Default Hmmm..

Interesting thought. I sort of agree. But what other euros look Japanese these days?

I dunno..Could this be Japanese? I think its *evocative* of Japanese style merely because Japan has a very modern style in their repetoir, but the final product is definitely German looking.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Internationalization of auto design started 10 years ago with Lexus...

... once ItalDesign was hired to design the SC and GS, the ball was rolling.

Or was it when Subaru hired ItalDesign to do the SVX?

Now you have Nissans designed in Paris, an Aston Martin designed in California, more than one Toyota designed in England, a woman who grew up in Northern Ireland defining the styling language for one of Britain's wildest sports cars, Pininfarina working for the Malaysians...

There is no more nationalism in design.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Default There hasnt been nationalism in car design way before that...

It doesnt really matter where the design is done or who it is done by. There are many designers at every company that have come from all across the world. Every car company has diverse designers from all around the world. I doesnt mean if Audi is a german company its only germans designing them. This may have been true way back when Audi first began but it hasnt been so for many years. It is up to the guys in the top positions of design to make sure that the DNA of the brand is what it is and that an american car stays american and german car stays german and so on. Of course this doesnt always happen. However it has nothing to do with where it is designed.

The iconic vehicle for Audi which has greatly influenced Audi's design language is the Audi TT. The TT is always known as the clean, simple and pure teutonic (german) design. Which is funny because in actuality the TT was designed by Freeman Thomas who was born in America. It still is a german design.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I still object to having a Swisser designing Lamborghinis.

They *are* a bit more sterile and Swiss nowadays.

And not in a good, watchmaking, cuckoo clock way.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 AM

Object all you want, Lambo is doing the best they have in years. They are doing something right.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default And, more importantly, they're building the best cars they've ever built.

And have the financing to properly develop new products.

But I'd have liked to have seen some more emotion in the last generation of cars.

I liked my Gallardo, but it did everything a bit too... calmly.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:14 PM

Default Well truth be told the Diablo was designed in the US by a designer at Chrysler believe it or not...

Once again, I dont think it doesnt make it an italian design. The Murcielago is one of the sexiest supercars to me. The interior could use some work but whatever the interior lacks the exterior makes up for. In terms of driving, Lambo's have never beenthe ultimate sports car, they are more on the extreme image of design.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Of course it was...

... 1991 was a good year on the U.S. auto show circuit, with the NSX, the Viper, and the Diablo... along with various other cars.

Haven't had as good a year since, honestly...

The Murc. is a nice body, given the constraints of the car underneath... but the successor with conventional doors and 7-speed DSG will be better in every way as a car...
Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 PM

Default Great Point....

However I am not referring to the nationality of the designer or even the location of the design studio, but the Homebase of the company and how it wants to be portrayed around the world.