Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 A4 3.0 Symphony II Upgrading Sound Amps Speakers (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 A4 3.0 Symphony II Upgrading Sound Amps Speakers (LONG)

Im going to attempt to upgrade my system... But am finding it frustrating to get information, before I buy, about what the standard system consists of. Here are my questions.

FACTS: I have an 2003 A4 3.0 Sport package, standard (non-Bose (at least I think. Sticker didn't mention Bose, but sales guy said it was, no lables on the speaker grills)) system. I see 9 Speakers. 2 in each door (mid and high) and a sub in the rear deck.

1. In the standard system is there a front center channel? In other words is there a speaker installed in the middle top of the dash?

2. Is the standard (non Bose) system, are there any external amplifiers, and if so where are they located.

3. Are there any factory locations for Line level outs? I have seen pin diagrams from Matisuta with the place for "line out" but nothing on if they are in use, or where they leads may be located.

4. Are there any factory locations for Power. I have read that there may be one in the dash, if so would it handle the juice to amps? If not, anyone know the best place to run a line through from battery to trunk?

5. If there is no amp, are the speakers all connected straight out from the deck (HU) or do they run to another location first (trunk for Bose connection??).

ANY other advise you can give me.

I am currently going to install two Infinity Basslinks in the rear, with the remotes under the arm rest in the center console.

Want to install all new speakers (Infinity Kappa Perfect components) a crossover of some kind, and an amp for them.

*sigh*
Eagerly awaiting relief....

LJ
Old 12-16-2003, 03:37 PM

Default Additional Question

Does anyone know the specs for the stock Symphony II as in Output power RMS/Peak

Thanks Again

LJ
Old 12-16-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Re: 03 A4 3.0 Symphony II Upgrading Sound Amps Speakers (LONG)

Hey Nowwwwwwwwwwwwww! Some answers and such:

1. In the standard system is there a front center channel? In other words is there a speaker installed in the middle top of the dash?
** I don't know about the B6's, but one quick way to tell is to look for a grille in the center of the dash. If there is one, then there probably is a speaker there, though not 100% of the time- just probably.

2. Is the standard (non Bose) system, are there any external amplifiers, and if so where are they located.
**There may be external outboard amps, but they are crap, even if made by bose. The amps are sometimes hidden underneath the back deck, or in the sides of the trunk.

3. Are there any factory locations for Line level outs? I have seen pin diagrams from Matisuta with the place for "line out" but nothing on if they are in use, or where they leads may be located.
**Hell no.

4. Are there any factory locations for Power. I have read that there may be one in the dash, if so would it handle the juice to amps? If not, anyone know the best place to run a line through from battery to trunk?
**Hell no as well. Even if there were, the factory wire gauge is not thick enough to handle enough current for aftermarket amps.

5. If there is no amp, are the speakers all connected straight out from the deck (HU) or do they run to another location first (trunk for Bose connection??).
**This may be the case in non-bose systems. Either way, if you get an aftermarket system, you're gonna bypass all this garbage anyway.

It looks like you pretty much have a plan of attack. you didn't make it clear whether you were going to keep the factory HU or not. my advice is to ditch it- you'll get much better sound quality from even a crappy aftermarket deck. I understand the want to keep the OEM deck so you can keep the integrated display in the dash, but having removed mine, i can tell you that i really don't miss it much, if even at all.

Also, you may want to go to your local car audio specialty shop (NOT BEST BUY, or CIRCUIT CITY, or any other lousey chain store!!!) and get a consultation with them. Odds are you probably don't want to take your whole car apart yourself (which is what's gonna have to happen if you want to completely upgrade your system- i'm talking removal of all doors, back seats, trunk components...enough to make your stomach queasy if you walk in on your installer in the midst of installation). Bottom line- set a budget and ask the shop what they can do for you in your price range. Just remember- it's always gonna cost more than you want it to. ;P
Old 12-16-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: 03 A4 3.0 Symphony II Upgrading Sound Amps Speakers (LONG)

*sigh*

I guess that's pretty much what I figured.
There is a grill in the dash, but I can't manage to see into it to see if there really is a speaker in there. But since that would make 10 speakers, as advertized, Im guessing it really is there.
I did want to keep the HU, not because of the display, but because of the steering wheel controls... Im addicted to them. I haven't seen any satisfactory solution to that one yet.
As far as the pro install.... I havn't decided. Im really nervous about letting someone else do it (I am an audio junky and extreamly particular as to how things are done) and none of the pro shops around here have done an Audi.

Thanks for the help!!

LJ
Old 12-17-2003, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default some slightly more accurate answers

----
yes, a single 3" driver I believe

----
yes, a small amp powers the rear door speakers and sub. it's on the right side of the trunk, behind the lining above the wheelwell

----
the symphony II HU does have line outs, but you need to purchase an adapter from continentalimports.com that gives you rca pre-outs for front/rear/center/sub.

----
best to run a dedicated power line from battery

----
fronts/center are run directly from the HU, rears/sub connect to the amp in trunk, as previously mentioned
Old 12-21-2003, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Center spreaker doesn't have it's own amp. It's bridged between front right & left speakers.