Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Rear Speaker Loss after Ipod Adapter Install. What happened?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Rear Speaker Loss after Ipod Adapter Install. What happened?

My Audi dealer installed an ipod adapter in my new-to-me 2003 A8L. After I got the car back, just the rear speakers sounded like they were line out(lacking much amplifiction) or something, when I adjusted the fader to the back speakers. It's like the effect you get when you turn 'loudness' off on a home receiver.(egualization problem? Could the ipod adapter have screwed up the Symphony II?) The front half of the car sounds fine. The dealer at first denied that they could hear the problem, the lead tech then acknowledged it, but they don't know enough to fix it. I'm just looking for any ideas you might have. It seems too much a coincidence that the sound went bad right after getting the ipod installed. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.- Rick
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM

Does the HU still say "BOSE" when turned on? They may have mis-coded it...
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Does the HU still say "BOSE" when turned on? They may have mis-coded it...

Yes, the HU says "BOSE" when turned on. The ipod also seems to work exactly as it should and communicates correctly with the HU. I'm starting to wonder more about the amp, if there are powered speakers or if it's easy to hook up the rears out of phase. I don't know much about VAG com, or if it controls HU set-up at all.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audi OEM adaptor, Icelink or DICE???

The ipod interface wouldn't have anything to do with front/rear fade.

It's more likely that the rear bose amp is the culprit.....but even in your D2 A8, the bose amp should be powering all the speakers....so it could be the fact that they recoded your Sym II for none-bose.....

FYI - you have a specific pin behind your Sym II for the bose EQ setting. I believe if that pin is present (regardless of how your sym II is coded), your Sym II will read bose. I think...not sure.

-Ted
Old 02-27-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Audi OEM adaptor, Icelink or DICE???

Thanks Ted. I'm not sure what the connector is, although it plugs into the same slot as if there were a trunk-mounted CD changer. I'll follow up you your lead as my next step.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Does the HU still say "BOSE" when turned on? They may have mis-coded it...

I had the car to a different Audi dealership today. They agreed that when the fader is all the way rear, the sound is bad. VAG com reads OK and we tried a couple other codes, but those disabled the fader altogether. 3 Audi techs were on hand and will get back with some other codes to try and do more research, but they were really busy try to figure out what's going on with all the FSI engines in the US that are having fuel pressure delivery issues. Has that news made any of the forums?
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody figure this out? I had an ipod adapter installed that completely turned off the rear speakers. Nobody seems to know why, but it's seems like I'm not alone. 2001 A4.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any update on this?

Same thing on rears after iPod?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mlw911
Same thing on rears after iPod?
I haven't found a solution yet. Bummer.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ricksta8
My Audi dealer installed an ipod adapter in my new-to-me 2003 A8L. After I got the car back, just the rear speakers sounded like they were line out(lacking much amplifiction) or something, when I adjusted the fader to the back speakers. It's like the effect you get when you turn 'loudness' off on a home receiver.(egualization problem? Could the ipod adapter have screwed up the Symphony II?) The front half of the car sounds fine. The dealer at first denied that they could hear the problem, the lead tech then acknowledged it, but they don't know enough to fix it. I'm just looking for any ideas you might have. It seems too much a coincidence that the sound went bad right after getting the ipod installed. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.- Rick
have them take out the I-pod addaptor to see if it goes back to normal, if it does go back to sounding good then they have installed the wrong I-pod addaptor, they will have to check the pin-outs on the addaptor and make sure the factory rear amp turn on is still getting powered up.