2009 Headlight Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Headlight Technical Question

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster.

I have a technical question for the electrical experts.

Long story short I have an extra perfectly working 2009 headlight assembly.

I also have a car themed rec room/man cave in the basement.

My thought was to hard wire my Audi headlight to make it as an actual lamp for my rec room. Ideally with two stages the LED daytime running lights and the high beams.

I don't have a spare wiring harness but I would prefer to purchase that and splice into the wiring harness so as to not jeopardize the integrity of the headlight assembly on its own.

Does anyone know what wires and voltage I would need to achieve my goals (and any corresponding additional information.)

I am electrically inclined and thought it might be a neat little gimmick to have in the basement if it is technically possible to do.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is it an HID main lamp or a bulb with projector for the main lamp? I can't tell from the pics.

If its HID, you aren't going to be able to light it without a high voltage ballast to 'ignite' the main beam. Everything else will likely run off of 12v DC. You should be able to remove the bulbs and easily find which parts of the bulb connect to which wires if you're handy with an ohm meter.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mej16489
Is it an HID main lamp or a bulb with projector for the main lamp? I can't tell from the pics.

If its HID, you aren't going to be able to light it without a high voltage ballast to 'ignite' the main beam. Everything else will likely run off of 12v DC. You should be able to remove the bulbs and easily find which parts of the bulb connect to which wires if you're handy with an ohm meter.

Thanks for the Reply.

It is the HID main lamp.

I can do that except my intention was to tap into a wiring harness (with the plugs attached to the imaged plugs.) I won't be able to know which of the wires from the harness I need to tap into. I have found a photo of the harness and I will post it if that would help.

Essentially, what I am hoping to figure out is what wires provide power (and return it) on the wiring harness for each of the lights in the assembly. A wiring diagram would be amazing if possible.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Found this but it is illegible and I don't know if it is accurate.