Sponsored by:

2009 Q5 MMI 3GHigh turning off randomly

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2024, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Q5 MMI 3GHigh turning off randomly

Hi,
I’ve got a 2009 Q5 with the 3G High MMI. It hasn’t got the separate amplifier - just the one device in the boot side.

The MMI randomly turns off, and I can’t work out why it’s doing it, I can’t pinpoint a common factor, so was wondering if anybody recognises the symptoms, or knows a way that I can test it? I’ve got Vagcom but not getting any codes?

So, when I got the car, MMI didn’t work, but after messing with the fuses it started working itself. It only started messing about a couple of months into owning it.
Now, most days, it will turn off a few miles into the journey. Usually, the sound will drop a few times, then come back within a couple of seconds, then eventually I’d hear a pop from the speakers, and the MMI will turn off (and all the lights for the buttons will turn off).
Most of the time, if I press the power button, or the select button, it will turn back on.
Sometimes it turns on and stays on, but sometimes it will just constantly turn off a few seconds after coming on. I can’t work out a pattern - it does it when cold, when warm, the battery is usually good (happens on a motorway journey so plenty of power going back to the battery).

The only thing that I’ve noticed - is that when the sound stops briefly - during that time, I can’t change radio stations using the steering wheel controls - until the sound comes back. Turning the scroll wheel, nothing happens.

I’ve tried re-seating all electrical and optical connections and everything looks ok, and I can’t see any signs of damp or water damage.

Anyone have any ideas please? Thanks in advance