Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
It's optional in the Premium Plus as far as I remember. Is there a reason you chose that particular car?
21+ It’s now part of a Premium Plus (microchip shortage notwithstanding)
Old 05-09-2022, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm curious now about how old you are :-). I'm turning 50 next year. I am a software engineer, though, so obviously I like technology. However, my generation is all about using technology as a tool to make life easier, but we still know how to do things w/o the technology. I like level 2 automation, which is what most cars currently have, but not really interested in automation beyond that. They assist with mundane driving tasks such as keeping your speed on a long trip or make it less annoying in stop&go traffic, and active steering assist to make it more comfortable to keep the car in its lane on long drives and effectively steer it in stop&go situations. These are all situations that really aren't very interesting from a driving perspective. I am however a passionate driver and I drive performance cars mostly, so I don't want to be driven, I want to drive, but the driving has to be interesting. I do lots of long road trips to great driving destinations. I'm known to drive up to 12 hours a day on such trips, so having some assistance makes that possible and I frequently go for drives in the deserted canyons around here to have fun with the car and the assistance systems allow me to chill on the way there and on the way back reserving my energy for the fun driving. Used for the right purpose, automation is a boon.

You can always override ACC with the throttle, so if it's not accelerating fast enough just use the throttle to get back to the set speed. Admittedly, these systems get tuned for specific models. An RS model like I had is overall more sporty even when using ACC. So is the AMG I currently drive. I have used ACC in an A4 when I had it as a loaner, but cars at that level are just way too boring for me, ACC or not. It does sound like, though, you'd be better off with one that doesn't have the driver assistance package. It's optional in the Premium Plus as far as I remember. Is there a reason you chose that particular car?
I'm 48.

It was not an option on premium plus.

I guess I just have to get used to it.

I'm actually surprised that some "driving enthusiasts" (which I actually do NOT consider myself) on this site aren't also irritated with ACC, among a myriad of other "driver assistance" features (common of course in all cars nowadays). Where are y'all?? Am I the only driving purist around here? Why can't I at least disable it like I can on my Nissan Rogue? Uggh. I was hoping for some sympathy lol.

Last edited by JCG1; 05-09-2022 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
21+ It’s now part of a Premium Plus (microchip shortage notwithstanding)
Yeah its not an option on Premium Plus. I was suspicious of it from the get-go. But I just figured I could disable it if I didn't like it. I was sadly mistaken.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JCG1
I'm 48.

It was not an option on premium plus.

I guess I just have to get used to it.

I'm actually surprised that some "driving enthusiasts" (which I actually do NOT consider myself) on this site aren't also irritated with ACC, among a myriad of other "driver assistance" features (common of course in all cars nowadays). Where are y'all?? Am I the only driving purist around here? Why can't I at least disable it like I can on my Nissan Rogue? Uggh. I was hoping for some sympathy lol.
I mean, I’ve every bit the enthusiast. S and RS only cars in the stable, and while I don’t now, I previously held a pro license, have instructed tons of track day classes, etc. Absolutely love the ACC. So much that when I ordered my S4, it was the sole reason I got a Prestige (was not available then on a premium plus at all). I don’t care about any of the other stuff that makes it a Prestige; that was the only must have.

I think if you sat down in person with someone who knows the ins and outs of the system and set up some of the parameters to suit your driving type, you will come to appreciate it.
The following users liked this post:
JCG1 (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,070 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by JCG1
Well, I think the point is when I'm actually driving the car I don't use any form of CC or assistance. I dial down ESP and put it in Race mode when I really wanna drive it and be in full control. That's the beauty of drive modes. Different modes and settings for different occasions. I'm not exactly following your reasoning. If you were a purist you wouldn't use CC at all.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-09-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I think the point is when I'm actually driving the car I don't use any form of CC or assistance. I dial down ESP and put it in Race mode when I really wanna drive it and be in full control. That's the beauty of drive modes. Different modes and settings for different occasions. I'm not exactly following your reasoning. If you were a purist you wouldn't use CC at all.
correct
- I don’t see a correlation. It’s a tool for a purpose is how I see it.

for my normal daily stuff, when I use these cars, I use cruise constantly.

for my fun weekend stuff on some of the mountain roads near my house, I wouldn’t dream of it.