Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are aftermarket Audio parts compatible with stock Bose stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are aftermarket Audio parts compatible with stock Bose stuff?

I just got my 01 S4, and it has a dead CD player. I haven't been too impressed with the speakers in the car- maybe its just listening to the radio.

On previous cars of mine, the Bose audio systems wouldn't work if you added any aftermarket stuff- each speaker had its own amp, and if you changed speakers, it wouldn't be compatible withe the head unit. Likewise, you change the head unit, and the speakers wouldn't work.

Is the same true with the Audi Bose symphony package? I didn't want ot get a new symphony cd player only to have it not compatible with the addition of a sub. But I didn't want to change the head unit and be forced to immediately get all new speakers either.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes and no.

The output to the amp is usable by other amps if you do an amp-and-speaker upgrade.

The amp CAN be used with other speakers - but it is a risky process. The Bose midwoofers are 2.something ohms and the tweeters are 4 or more, can't remember, and the woofer is often 2 as well.

Just replacing them with aftermarket can result in poor sound.

I had good results with a friend using Vifa 4"/ 100mm 4 ohm cart mids and LPG 1" tweeters and Audax 165mm 6.5" woofers in the rear deck of a B5 sedan. But the Audaxes aren't made any more and most others don't fit. The Vifas are going out of production.