Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp and Speaker Selection Qs from newbie to car audio, but not to home audio: BA, Xtant, PPI (long)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2000, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought of that...

Thats why I want to try a tighter 10' first... If anyone has a suggestion on a tight 10' for my ski bag, I can use it... going with the 8's would entail some good re-working. I would have to add another 4-channel and run it in tri-mode, stereo front and mono rear set-up probably, and build soild 6.5 in the front kick pannel... that would do it.
Old 04-19-2000, 08:40 AM

My understanding is you have to mess with your power source with Pheonix.
Old 04-19-2000, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: How So? (more)

if you get their PLD1 unit, you don't have to turn up the gain on any of the amps because it supplies a minimum 8v current from the PLD1 to the amps you have installed. Please explain your take/point-of-view . . .<ul><li><a href="http://www.phoenixgold.com/pld1.html">http://www.phoenixgold.com/pld1.html</a</li></ul>
Old 04-19-2000, 10:10 AM
Foo
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default This is true but....

you still can cause excessive pulls on your altenator and its another link in your signal path which can induce noise. As a general rule you should keep the signal chain as simple as possible....
noise gates, DAC's, and signal "enhancers" are best left for the serious audiophile, most ppl want life simpler. Ive had both. And i prefer the simpler approach.... my 24v DAC was great, but was a pain to get set up properly.
But yes, phoenix are nice amps, but do have current issues. Ask most installers.

Darren
Old 04-19-2000, 10:25 AM

Default well, I was not familar with the PDL1unit...

looks like they took care of the negatives I heard about Pheonix. What I heard is they had a problem with the source conversion. The feeds aren't strong enough from the typical head units. I've only seen one car done with Pheonix Gold amps and the owner did say he had to focus on conditioning the source feed for the amps. Looks like Pheonix knew this and came up with their own way of making their amps more compatable with common head units...

I'm not up on Pheonix equipment. I can only go with what I hear about them from the people I consult with when I shop. There's only one Pheonix retailer in my area and they only stock a subwoofer...
Old 04-19-2000, 10:27 AM

Do you run Pheonix? and what are your impressions of their equipment???
Old 04-19-2000, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Do you run Pheonix? and what are your impressions of their equipment???

Not yet, waiting for my S4 to come so I can install it. My installer has really worked with me in allowing me to listen to various vehicles they setup with different applications. When a car comes in, he calls me and I listen to the install before the customer picks the car up. I'm happy w/my decision and with the research I've done on various products. I'll probably post pics of the install when I'm done.
Old 04-19-2000, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! for all the responses.
Old 04-19-2000, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention that I looked at Diamonds .. will audition them again when it's time to buy.
Old 04-19-2000, 12:25 PM

Cool, I'll be watching for your posting

Quick Reply: Amp and Speaker Selection Qs from newbie to car audio, but not to home audio: BA, Xtant, PPI (long)