Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Audi Neophyte

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2000, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Audi Neophyte

(Yes, I thoroughly searched the archives first )

I have a non-Bose system in my 2000 A4 Sedan.
I'm looking to do a relatively simple upgrade and thought that the rear speakers are much suckier than the fronts and so would particularly like to replace those.

I understand that the amp is attached to the left rear speaker. Can this amp be used to power new rear speakers and if so is this a sensible option?
If not, does it make sense to install a rear amp and new rear speakers and leave the front speakers alone, or is the consensus that the front speakers should always be replaced?

Obviously, I'm not looking for incredible mega-bass sound, but a system that can handle moderately loud rock as well as jazz & classical. I want to spend less than $500, and to leave the head unit in place
Old 09-04-2000, 01:48 PM

Default Re: CD changer for Concert

Dang it, should have previewed that.

I meant that the 'cheaper two' of the changers are described as NOT having the random/mix functions, though they MAY on 'certain Audis.'

Also, I didn't mean to jump in on Barry's thread, though I guess I am a neophyte, too.
I'm interested in his question as well.

TIA,

AT
Old 09-04-2000, 01:48 PM

Default CD changer for Concert

Hi, all.

On the Autotoys website, which several peopel here have mentioned, there are FOUR CD changers which they say are 'OEM Audi'. Obviously they are not 'OEM' with the rings on them as sold by Clair, but they are apparently made by Panasonic so I guess they are functionally identical.
However they sell for four different prices, too. The variations are: two are 6-disc, and two are 8-disc, and the cheaper two are described as working with the Concert and Bose head units, but not the Symphony. The more expensive units work with all. Also those two are described as NOT having random/mix function although they MAY on 'certain models.'
I wonder if anyone has any idea has any idea on which model/year Audis the cheaper units would have the random/mix function? I put in a note to Autotoys to see if they can be more specific.
A $195 changer sounds great to me, especially if it has full functions. It would be going in a 99.5 Avant with Concert head unit.
BTW NONE of these work with the Delta head units.
TIA for any help or comments.
Best wishes,

AT
Old 09-05-2000, 12:32 PM

Default Suggestions...

You are correct about the left rear having an attached amp. If you took a look at this amp, you would throw any ideas about using it right out the window. It's a POS! My suggestion to you is to leave the rear speakers alone and buy an amp with a high level input (meaning you can run the speaker wires directly into the amp instead of looking for preamp outputs that probably aren't there anyway). Then chuck the front speakers which are your main source of sound, get a nice pair of separates, or coaxials if you must. You can get a set of adapter for the front doors from MB Quart (no more than $35) that will allow you to put 5.25" woofers in the doors rather than the stock 4" crap.

If I were you I'd forget the rear speakers altogether. Disconnect them, they suck. Plus, when you listen to music at home, do you do it with your back to the speakers. No, so why should you do it in your car? I don't want to hear any of that surround crap either from anyone. Music (at least for now) is meant to be heard in two stereo channels, ideally completely in front of you. Sorry about the rant, but I'm just trying to clear up some common misconceptions.<p>99.5 A4 1.8TQMS APR Stage 1
Old 09-05-2000, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Suggestions...

Thanks for the info. I'm strongly considering your suggestion but, might it make sense to install new speakers in the front and run them off the existing unit and then install an amp in the trunk to run new rear speakers. I understand your point about the importance of the front speakers, but I assume there's some reason to have rear speakers (other than for rear passengers).
Old 09-05-2000, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Suggestions...

It's me again.

What is the power output of the Concert system to the front speakers. Can speakers of reasonable quality be run off them?
Old 09-06-2000, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Based on recent experience I'd say......

forget what they say about random/mix function. Apparently, the concert head only supports random within a CD and not a mix (shuffle) over all the CD's (see thread above). I paid Clair's new higher price ($299) and, now that I know what's up, would probably have been satisfied with the cheaper changer. The random mix over one CD is just worthless IMO. I did order from Clair to be on the safe side with compatibility, but I've read that others have bought from AutoToys without problems.

HTH
Old 09-06-2000, 04:07 PM

Default Thanks, HJohn! (nt)

Thank