Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

on another note.. I also removed my rear deck today. EDIT: (forgot a step!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on another note.. I also removed my rear deck today. EDIT: (forgot a step!)

Very easy to do:

1) fold down seats
2) Pop off child seat hook covers (pop up from behind)
3) Unbolt 3 bolts
NEW STEP) Disconnect 3rd brake light connector from the trunk area. Just look at the bottom of the rear deck and youll see it immediately under the 3rd light.
4) pull up on rear deck where seats meet it, there are 3 clips
5) You may have 2 white strips that run left to right that help glue down the rear deck. I used a putty knife to detach it form the rear deck. Leave it glued to the chassis.
6) pull straight towards you, make sure you free the extreme left and right side from behind the small pieces of seat that remain.

It comes straight at ya. No need to remove seatbelts or any part of the seats.

Anyways, I did it to remove the rear speakers. 3 screws and theyre out. Simple as pie . I did this to let the subs vent through those square openings into the cabin. Havn't really noticed any difference in sound, so I've determined its really unnecessary to do.

The opening is a 5 1/8" square. The stock speaker is 3" deep. This would fit the magnet and I figure about half of the cone from a JL 8w1 and would just fit the magnet of a JL 8w0. I'm not sure how much room between the deck chassis and the top of the speaker grill there is, but I think either might fit in there with the stock grill. Both subs are 3.75-4" deep, so it would be a close fit.

Some minor largening of that square would surely make any 8" sub fit.

Anyways, that's just some random info.

I decided there was no need to dynamat the rear deck chassis or the rear deck itself. That sucker is on there pretty tight with the bolts, clips, and the white foam strips. It doesn't vibrate at all on my car and it would have been a lot of cutting little pieces to cover everything . Not worth it for my setup.