Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have an empeg head unit installed? (mp3 player)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have an empeg head unit installed? (mp3 player)

I'm considering cancelling my order for the Bose with 6 cd changer and spending the money ($1100) on one of the empeg units instead. I'll need to buy a 4 channel amp (empeg has line out only) and maybe some better speakers. I've already got 2 12" subwoofers w/amp I'm planning on putting in the trunk. Any opinions / other ideas? I'd love to see a pic of an empeg in an A4/S4 if anyone has one.<ul><li><a href="http://www.empeg.com">Empeg head unit</a></li></ul>
Old 11-06-2000, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it cheaply made, don't get it.

Spend your money on that Kenwood player that plays mp3 cd's instead. You'll save a couple hundred that you can use on an amp and maybe a set of components. That empeg is a serious waste of money IMHO.
Old 11-06-2000, 12:07 PM
gr

Default I have one sitting on my desk, waiting to be installed!

I have had it for a couple of days, I ordered all of the parts for my new stereo install online, so I am waiting for a few of them to show up, as soon as I have everything I am going to install it. I powered it on in my car and it is a DEAD match for the red of the dash!

BTW, if you have any questions about it, feel free to ask me, I'll answer what I can, I love this thing! My email isn't right in my profile, send it grantrupp@earthlink.net
Old 11-06-2000, 12:12 PM
gr

Default Why would you post something like this?

You have obviously never seen an empeg. It is better made than just about any car head unit I have seen and is one of the highest quality things that I own. The customer support is ridiculously great and the product itself is one of neatest gizmos on the planet. It's expensive, but if you can afford it, worth every penny. I would highly recommend that anyone who is considering it, buy it!!!
Old 11-06-2000, 12:58 PM

Default Thats great

Glad to hear the red matches perfectly. Have you seen some of the alternate logos at empeg.comms.net? There are a coupld audi ones that look pretty cool. Although I would probably have to design an Audi sport logo if I were to get one. Plus the fact that it runs linux, and can be modified and hacked upon is just awesome. Supposedly the actual mp3 decoding and visualizations only use 30% of the CPU, leaving plenty of power for other stuff I'm envisioning some sort of app that interfaces to the car's OBD II port through the empeg's serial port, and displaying diagnostics, etc, heck maybe even a boost guage
Old 11-06-2000, 02:27 PM

never seen an empeg but kenwoods are poop
Old 11-07-2000, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've seen pictures of them, read reviews, thats all I need to see.

I didn't intend to be an ******* or anything, but it's kinda limited to what it can do for the price that you pay. If you really have that much music to play there are a couple different CD players that are out there that play mp3 CD's, (kenwood was just an example)and in my opinion its a lot less hassle putting a cd in that you burned than what you have to do with the empeg to input new music. How much time do you really spend in your car anyway to want that much music at hand? If I remember correctly it is a pain in the *** to play one specific song rather than knowing what cd has the song you like. You'd spend a half hour cycling through the songs to find the one you want when your eyes should be on the road. And you have all sorts fo functionality of CD players and compatibility with other components. The only thing I could possibly justify spending that kind of money one is an LCD or the Clarion AutoPC. and even in those instances I would never use them to the full advantage, but for about a grand they do a HELL of a lot more than that empeg unit. Again, no flames intended, just my views. Feel free to argue, I like a good debate, even if I may be wrong.
Old 11-07-2000, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

based on what?
Old 11-07-2000, 10:36 AM

Default Re: anyone have an empeg head unit installed? (mp3 player)

I have an empeg, and have ordered an S3 with Bose.

I haven't had a good read through this forum yet, but I'm hoping that installing it isn't going to be too much hassle.

Has anyone tried hooking up the GALA (speed sensitive volume control) or driver info system up to another head unit. This looks like an interesting project for the empeg.

Phil.
Old 11-07-2000, 12:34 PM
Tigole Bitties

have to burn cds in their format (no subdirs i believe)

Quick Reply: anyone have an empeg head unit installed? (mp3 player)