Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have focals? how do they sound? and what do you have powering them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have focals? how do they sound? and what do you have powering them?

<p>2000 A4 1.8TQMS
Old 08-08-2000, 07:03 PM

Default Focals are wonderful speakers.......

They manufacture several lines of mobile speakers, each has its own unique features and construction. They have excellent quality control and the some of the highest tolerances for quality in the industry. I would say that their nearest competitor would be Dynaudio, which are also wonderful speakers. I feel that these two companies build speakers of the highest quality in the industry, surpassed by none.
Old 08-08-2000, 09:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've got the Focal 130K 5 1/8" components

I am powering them with a Phoenix Gold 75w X 4 amp (with the other two channels driving a Stealthbox).

My installation is pretty simple. Concert headunit going to the amp.
MB Quart adapters to fit the front speakers into the factory 4" holes. Tweeters installed into the stock location.

No custom installation other than that.

The sound is sweet. The tweeters are bright, but not harsh. The bass is pretty impressive out of these little 5 1/8" speakers (even when I turn off the sub channel).
The midrange is pretty smooth too.

I am accustomed to my Celestion SL700 speakers at home driven by a Conrad Johnson tube preamp and a Classe amplifier. The car system does not even come close. But it is certainly good enough for my taste (and I am pretty picky).

But with a better installation, like custom pods and some Dynamat in the doors, and tweeters properly focused towards the listening position, I am sure that the Focals could really sing ! They seem to have the potential to sound really amazing.
Eventually I'll do that. But for now, I am more than content with my car stereo system.

Back when I first installed the Focals, I posted that I listened to a pair of BA Pros on the wall in a store, and I was "Wow'ed" by them.
I never heard the Focals on the wall, nor did I ever hear BA Pros installed in a car.
But I was not "wow'ed" with the Focals installed in my car, like I was with the BA's on the wall.
It is a useless comparison though, so take it with a few grains of salt.

If you are in/near NYC, you are welcome to listen to my stereo and judge for yourself.

Regards,
Peter
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 08-08-2000, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, I'm in SoCal, but thanks for the offer. I agree with you, i listened to them at a local

install place on the wall, and i was impressed compared to the other things they had on the wall.

having set everything flat, i tested the alpines, the imagedynamics, the xtants and the dynaudios.

still nothing compares to actually hearing the speakers in the car with the doors loaded and the cabin acoustics.

what do you have running the rears? just the stock concert radio?<p>2000 A4 1.8TQMS
Old 08-08-2000, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks. that's the general consensus. but some speakers just sound better in particular cars. how do

you like them in the a4?<p>2000 A4 1.8TQMS
Old 08-09-2000, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rear channel is a Stealthbox using the other 2 channels of that PG amp.

And by the way, I only paid $279 for these Focals from Soundhabit.

I don't know how the Polyglass or Polyflex lines are -- I never listened to them. But they certainly LOOK cool. :-) The Polykevlar is the 2nd line from the top. (Utopia is their top line, and too expensive for my blood.)
Oh -- in the 5 1/8" size, the bottom three lines all use the same tweeters.

Enjoy,
Peter
Old 08-14-2000, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thank you. ordered them today. backorder tho. =|

<p>2000 A4 1.8TQMS