Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard of a/d/s speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard of a/d/s speakers?

When to a local audio sound shop to see what was available for my 02' A4. Salesman recommended a/d/s speakers and said they are usually very popular on European cars. I was wondering if anyone had any expriences with a/d/s speakers.

I think the stock speakers are 5 1/4. I wanted to replace the Bose AMP and speakers. Do I have to rip out alot of wiring? What's a good AMP? Does any 5 1/4 speaker fit? I want to upgrade the sound but I'm pretty clueless at where to start. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

-Jimbo
Old 05-21-2003, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Uh, yes. Good stuff. I use an a/d/s/ amp & subwoofer.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default a/d/s/ is an awesome brand, designed for german cars

their website is www.adst.com. A comprehensive site with price lists www.evosport.com (some of the stuff on the site is not being made anymore, like the competition speaker systems and the subwoofers have been updated. A/D/S/ will put MBQuarts to shame and rival the SQ of Dynaudio.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default evosport's a/d/s/ page

<ul><li><a href="http://www.evosport.com/product/mobile_elec/">evosport's a/d/s/ page</a></li></ul>
Old 05-22-2003, 06:00 AM

Excellent Gear, most of my system is A/D/S
Old 05-22-2003, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High end and durable- Have had ADS in my 911 since 1988...

and they still work great. Had to replace the woofers in the rear deck speakers after 10 years of sun, but that isn't bad at all.

Love the sound reproduction.
Old 05-22-2003, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Like I said, I'm a audio n00b. What would I need to get started?

I just want to replace my stock Bose. I don't want something that's too over the top but also not something cheap. I'm looking to spend maybe $3k?

-Jimbo
Old 05-22-2003, 04:43 PM

Get components to replace stock units and get an amp to match up. Then get it all wired up.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default you will need to approach the system in phases

Step I: subwoofer(s) and amplifier for the subwoofer(s). Adding low end loudspeakers will produce the greatest noticable change in audio sound to the untrained ear. Its a good place to start. a/d/s/ subs are good, they have a really well designed intergrated grill, other brands that are good include alumapro (what I am running) and if you want to be like everbody else throw in some JLAudios (they are loud but not great for sound quality). I would recommend 2 alumapro alchemy 12MXs (4ohm version) driven by an a/d/s/ PQ40.2 in 2x400w@4ohm mode. make sure you grab the a/d/s/ AC502MK2 remote amplifier control so that you can change the gain for the subs, this is a great feature if you listen to a wide variety of music. For example, when you listen to rap you would turn the gain down and when you pop in some Dave you would turn the gain up.

Step II: replace the factory speakers with some a/d/s/ components and add an amplifier. I would go with the a/d/s/ 346is up front and a/d/s/ 236is in the rear doors. Power with another PQ40.2 in 4x100@4ohm mode. There are adapters available that can convert your speaker level outs into rca line outs so that an exernal amplifier can be used with the factory source. a/d/s/ makes a product, if you can find one, called the FDi, a factory direct interface that attaches to the factory source and converts all the speaker outs into hi volt rca outs and also adds auxillary inputs for things like iPods.

3. to achieve the best sound you will eventually have to get rid of the nicely integrated and ergonomic audi source unit. quality units on the market are produced by nakamichi, mcintosh labs, denon, and clarion. Look for units with 20 &amp; 24 bit D/A converters, they produce the most accurate sound reproduction.

Installation costs usually will take up a chunk of your install money, so get your initial install suited for the upgrades that you plan to make later on. If your installer does it right you can just plug and play new additions to your system.

The current system that I am running: a McIntosh source unit, McIntosh Speaker Amp, McIntosh Sub Amp, Dynaudio fronts and rears, and 2 Alumapro 12s took me a while to get together but it was WELL worth it in the end. There was no way that I would have been able to put up the coin to buy all of it at once.

here are some links for some quality products:

www.mcintoshlabs.com
www.alumapro.com
www.dynaudio.com
www.adst.com
www.redmountainaudio.com (denon distributor)
www.nakamichi.com
www.clarion.com
www.zapco.com

Good luck
Old 05-22-2003, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default get comps for the front, good coax for the rear

4ch amp and a mono amp or a good 5ch amp like US amps or suck

good SQ deck like clairon, alpine or eclipe
or visual decks like pioneer or kenwood

depends how hard you want to pound, ID, alpine, W3, infinity, shiva for moderate punch and good sound.

brahma, IDmax, XXX, W7 for hardcore pounding.

3k is a big budget, at that rate is what you perfer, not what you can afford.

i'd suggest
$500 for deck
$800 for amp
$1000 for speakers and sub
$700 left to do whatever such as install, box, wires etc.

Quick Reply: Anyone heard of a/d/s speakers?