Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use 4-ch Rockford/PPI/PG amp for subs AND components?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2000, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use 4-ch Rockford/PPI/PG amp for subs AND components?

I was trying to decide between Rockford (maybe a Punch 600a4, a Power 400a4, or Power 800a4) and PPI PC 4400.2 or Phoenix Gold XS4600 to drive a 10" JL 10W3 and Polk components. I like the RF's because the crossover points are adjustable, and the Power series includes a wired bass boost remote. I have heard that Rockford are better for low frequency though, and since i want to use one amp for low and high, i was hoping that Ya'll could share experiences. Thanks
Merry Christmas / Happy Hannukah / Krazy Kwanzah
Old 12-24-2000, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

WHOAH. My name is Brian Carevich. Saw your sig and caught me by surprise
Old 12-24-2000, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I've got the PG4600 driving Stealthbox and front components

I *think* the model is the XS4600 -- it is the 75w X 4 model.

The amp has plenty of ***** to drive the Stealthbox -- 2 channels bridged to 300w into 2 ohms driving the sub. And the fronts sound great too (I have Focal components).
Now, my stereo system needs a lot of work on the installation. But the components themselves are all quite good.

One thing I have noticed (and I have posted this a lot recently since learning it) is that the Concert stereo has pretty hot line level outputs.
The input gains on the PG amp are turned all the way down, and when I turn up the volume, I am overdriving the inputs of the amplifier.

If I were doing my system again, I would not get the PG amp for that reason alone -- I would want an amplifier with a more flexible input stage that can accomodate a wider variety of input voltages. Of course I could clip off the RCA ends and connect to the high-level inputs on the amp, and then crank up the gain control. But the system would still not be matched properly.
The other solution would be to use an aftermarket headunit, with a "proper" line level output, instead of the Concert headunit with the quasi-line-level (we'll call it "Bose line level" since it was designed to connect to the Bose system).

If you have an aftermarket headunit, then I give the PG amp a thumbs up. If you are using a stock headunit, then look into the other brands mentioned, and find one with a wider input voltage range. XTant and ADS both come to mind as having very flexible inputs. I don't know about RF and PPI.

Hope this helps !

-- Peter
Old 12-24-2000, 11:44 PM

Default Re: I've got the PG4600 driving Stealthbox and front components

Thanks for your info. I am planning on sticking with the Concert headunit, so I may try and find out about that input voltage range for the other brands.
What do you think the output voltage is for the Concert line-level outs? If it being a high voltage is bad, why do some of the better aftermarket headunits (Eclipse comes to mind) advertise high voltage preamp outputs (5-8V)?
Old 12-25-2000, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The PPI has a tolerant input level.

Mine is set about 40% from min to max. I have the same front stage as you. I agree the focals are amazing. Although I'm going to move my front tweeters down low as point sources. other than that, the PPI 6600.2 is a great amp. it is driving a IDQ 12 in back and i haven't installed my last 2 channels in the rear doors.
Old 12-25-2000, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have a pic of the IDQ?

I am looking to add the exact same sub. How big is the box? Not sure on components...focal, oz, diamond or ID, are all in the running.
Old 12-25-2000, 10:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Do you have a pic of the IDQ?

no, don't have a picture of it right now. i plan to take pictures when my system is complete.

you can venture over to imagedynamicsusa.com to see what it looks like.

the box is really up to you. i got a 1.25 cuft box which i like tight non boomy bass. the recommended spec for the 12in idq is 1.0 cuft.

hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2000, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Headunit voltages...

I have not yet metered the output voltage of the Concert headunit. But I can tell you that "line level" 0dB is less than 2v. I think it is something like 1.19v or thereabouts (I'd have to get out my Audio Engineer's Handbook to verify).

Higher voltages require less amplification by the amplifier's input stage, and are also less susceptible to noise.

The installer who looked at my car last week (although I have not yet paid him to do any work) told me that Bose systems are usually higher than normal line level, but not as high as speaker level. Now, I don't have the Bose system in my car, but I think we all know by now that Audi uses the same headunits for their Bose and non-Bose systems. And those "line-level" pre-outs are there for the Bose systems, not for aftermarket systems.
So I am just taking the word of the installer who told me that the line level outs are hotter than normal.
It makes sense too, because i have to turn the gains on my amplifier all the way down.

I am actually afraid to turn up my amp's gain control, because my last amplifier had really bad alternator whine with the gains up.

Damn this cold weather ! I really want to tweak my system now ! If I decide to brave the elements anytime soon, I will post my results.

-- Peter
Old 12-26-2000, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Question about your Focals...

Do you still have your Focal owners manual, or perhaps their catalog ?

I seem to remember a picture -- either in the catalog or the manual -- of the tweeters mounted on top of the midrange drivers in a coaxial setup.
Since I am using the MBQ adapters, there is plenty of room to do that, and I wanted to experiment with that setup.
I would like to purchase the mounting brackets from Focal. Do you have any info on that ?

The speakers are very smooth sounding, but the tweeters are a little brighter than I would like -- especially mounted so high on the doors.

Also, where are your crossovers ? Mine are in the doors, but I think I want to relocate them to the trunk, in order to facilitate tweaking.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 12-27-2000, 01:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey Peter,

I do not know of that option to place the tweeters inside the midrange drivers. and I do not remember seeing any diagram in the owners manual that would do that. I know because i would have done it that way if it were possible. even if so, i can't now, I epoxied everything. =)

My crossovers are also in the doors, they are shoegooed and are set to -2db for now. they sound ok. but they will sound best when i put them near the kick panels and set the crossovers to 0db.

please let me know if you find any info on what you just described, i am interested but doubtful since i did look intensely at this issue prior to my setup.

Quick Reply: Anyone use 4-ch Rockford/PPI/PG amp for subs AND components?