Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a JL Audio CleenSweep?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exactly. the cleansweep is definately a cool little gimmick

that will sell to those who dont exactly know what they're doing.

any true audiophile will buy a normal line driver which will end up sounding better and cost less.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The cleansweep has a master volume control though and the factory adjustments are still there too..

....after if you want more bass/mid/treb. I think that addresses both your points.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You're kidding, right?

Like most people will pull out a RTA to make accurate adjustments or have a good enough ear to use the other options. Maybe a real pro and even then I bet the automated program does a better job than most people.

Your line driver comment is just plain stupid but I will agree that a true professional would opt to make adjustments with various signal processesors themselves. However, that's not most of the people on this board.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not kidding at all(and a little rant)

have you ever been to a car audio sq competition? a few competitions have a flat RTA response as part of the scoring. another part of the scoring is judged by a human listener. nobody EVER uses a flat RTA response for the human judged portion of the event. this is because a flat RTA response sounds like ***. they always have two different settings and the competition even includes a few minutes where adjustments can be made after the RTA measurement.

yes, perhaps the cleansweep does a better job than what 50% of people here can do as of right now, but to me that is just continuing the death of car audio.

encouraging people to not care about their sound is the same thing as encouraging people to take their car to a shop to let them install 2000w ebay subs and amps with neons and caps.

people who care about their sound will do their research, choose good quality components, and learn to listen and find out what their preferences are. these people that care about their sound will discover that you can buy a line driver for hundreds less and acheive better results. this is what i encourage each and every audio enthusiast to become. otherwise small companies that continue to build quality equipment and big companies that build **** will continue to prosper.

i'm NOT saying JL is ****, as they are one of the few large companies that continually puts out solid equipment(for a large, large price tag). i just believe that the cleansweep is an overpriced line driver that cannot even come close to the results of a properly setup line driver + inline processor.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't specify when I started this thread....

I'm certainly more than capable of adjusting any system regardless of configuration and my well tuned ear is the thing I'm trying to appease ultimately.

In order to use the less than ideal factory head unit I need a line driver which the JL unit will do. The added bonus to is that it has the potential to counteract the factory headunit equalization curve to provide a better starting point for changes. I hear what your saying BBAUDI and I agree with the premise you put forth but this is not about absoultly flat response - more about eliminating starting point issue with the factory system. What makes a particular audio reproduction system sound appealing is the interaction between elements not lab flat frequency curves... I think we can all agree on that. The core issue is the factory headunit and the equalization curve programmed in it for the Blowse audio components that are going out the window. I can VAG the Bose mode off but that leaves the other equalization for the crappy stock style components.

To fix that problem I can a) Use the CS as my line driver and base line for the removal of that factory curve or b) use the AudioControl as the line driver and have a outboard processor / EQ to manually adjust the curve.

I'm a big fan of manual control - but this is car stereo and frankly car stereo is crap anyway. What I want to know > Does anyone have a CleanSweep and what have there results been.

Thanks for the debate.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i agree that car audio is crap

but why would you pay so much for a cleansweep + outboard processor vs normal linedrive + outboard processor when end results(Assuming you know what you're doing) is the same.

from what other people have said about the CS, it does what it advertises...a flat(er) response after setup. but what happens if you dont like a flat response? you still gotta spend money on the outboard processor, so why dont you save your money and get a line driver + processor.

or even better, get the audiocontrol EQS which is STILL less expensive than the jl cleansweep and has line driver + xovers + EQ all built into one small unit.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're certainly in the ball park with EQS...

But as I stated I wanted some feedback on the CS as an option. At 350 it's not cheap but if it works it could be an option.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no personal experience

again, from what i've heard, it does what it claims to do, give you a flat response.

this forum isnt really the right place...go ask this question on some dedicated car audio forums for more appropiate hands-on feedback.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:14 AM

Default to use the cleansweep successfully. . . .

you must use the outboard volume control at all times. my tt radio does not give me volume numbers so i can't reference a volume number as a starting point. the beauty of the cs is that you can switch off eqs and get back to the same reference point at the touch of a button. the secret to getting quality sound is to have a zero or flat starting point then eq you can't just use a line driver because if you use the audi volume control the tonal balance will change with every volume change.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you're going to spend $350 on a JL CS and more on outboard processing...

Why not just take that money and use it to replace the head unit all together. That way you eliminate the problem rather than trying add more components to the signal chain to cover it up. More components usually means more noise. I've already gone through trying to make the factory head unit work with aftermarket components and I could never get it to sound the way I wanted. Still too much noise, overemphasized bass, and muddy mids. Replacing the head unit was the biggest improvement I made next to switching to a fully active crossover system for the front stage.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a JL Audio CleenSweep?