Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apple iOS 4.1 or 4.2 streaming audio issues with MMI

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple iOS 4.1 or 4.2 streaming audio issues with MMI

I use the Audi AMI system for connecting my iPhone/iPad to my car's audio system, and while the iPad and iPhone with 4.x connects and plays with no issues, i am still having the issue with multitasking audio with the system.

With iOS 4.0 i was able to connect to the AUDI AMI and control/play my iPod music. Additionally, with the new multitasking functions in the OS, I was able to launch Pandora, Last.fm, or the NPR app and the respective apps audio would supercede the iPod audio and stream/play with no issues.

With iOS 4.1 that multitasking audio function stopped working, and if i tried to play Pandora audio, the Pandora audio stream would play for 1-2 seconds, and then would revert back to the iPod audio.

Apple just officially released iOS 4.2 today and the same issues have remained from 4.1. I am still unable to push app audio into the Audi AMI -- the iPod audio remains the dominant stream and no other app audio can gain focus to play thru the car system.

I have reported the bug to Apple and they have asked for the devices Log reports to figure the problem out but the bug remains in the new 4.2.

Is anyone having this issue as well? Please reply if you are.....Thanks.

Last edited by jfischetti; 11-22-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question, why don't you just stop iPod playback if you're using another source?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can't control the iPod player on the phone once it's connected to the AMI. You get an "accessory connected" screen, and you have no control to stop the iPod from the Audi. I've tried force quitting the iPod app which does stop the music, but the car reinitiates playback automatically.

Still hoping that Apple fixes this....
Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yup, I've been having the same issues as well although I didn't notice it until recently because I don't use my Q5 as my daily commuter car. It is annoying.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a response from Apple about the issue and they say that it's the responsibility of the 3rd party accessory creator to make the adjustment.

FROM APPLE:
Engineering has provided the following feedback regarding this issue:

As of iOS 3.1.3, iAP always reflects the MMP player state (this fixed several issues for well behaved accessories). This is a 3rd party issue. The head unit is forcing the play state to play, so since we don't hack the playstate anymore, it sees a pause and tries continuously to force a play until it works.

Accessories need to change the audio state only in response to used feedback and accept that audio state may change from underneath them (like in a phone call).

This will probably make sense to developers, i'm just worried that Audi will only be concerned with Phone and iPod functions only, and not care about the additional functionality to play other app's audio.

Any thought on how to get this request to Audi America, and then hopefully to the audio engineers over in Germany?