Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi GPS headunit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi GPS headunit question

Hi All,

I have a 2005 B6 A4 and I am considering changing from my cars original Symphony II radio to one of the GPS units.

As some of you may know, the Sympny II unit has a built in, volume control dependent EQ circuit, which I am currently getting around by using the JL Audio Cleansweep.
However as I use this car as my main demonstration vehicle for our audio components, would like to get away from using any components that I do not absolutely have to use.

So my question is, has anyone ever tested the outputs of the Navigation headunits, to see if these also have the nasty Volume Control dependent EQ on them?

One other question, if I am forced to swap out the OEM Audio Symphony II radio for a quality aftermarket headunit, what functions of the car will I be losing, other than the dash display of the radio information?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
Old 12-31-2005, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will be putting this to the test in a couple of weeks....

I should have my RNS-E installed by the end of this coming week as well as upgrading the audio system after.

I have heard the RNS-E is worlds better than the S-II but I suspect it may have some EQ issues. If your headunit is the Bose variety (meaning coded for Bose components) you can VAG-COM the Bose off which will fix some of the issues. I suspect the JL will still need to be used for pumping up the line level if nothing else.

I asked a question about the cleansweep in this vary forum about a week ago - what are your thoughts of it performance?
Old 12-31-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: I will be putting this to the test in a couple of weeks....

If you can, put the line level outputs through an RTA, using pink noise and see if the output changes with volume control position as does the Symphony II.

With the Symphony II, the Cleansweep is the only viable option if you want to seriously tune the audio system, as you use the Cleansweep to "de-equalize" the Symphony II's output to a flat signal, which you can then send on to outboard aftermarket environmental equalizers, time alignment units etc.
without the Cleansweep doing this, when you try to tune the system, at each and every volume control position the systems equalization changes and it is virtually impossible to tune the system.

If you can test the output of your new NAV unit, pleas epost the results so that I can know also! :^)
Old 01-02-2006, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can turn off the GALA and EQ changes in the Engineering Mode of the RNS-E.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:34 AM

Default Re: You can turn off the GALA and EQ changes in the Engineering Mode of the RNS-E.

Really? How?

Is this also possible with the Symphony II?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure about sym2...gala can be turned off, but don't know about EQ.

I dont remember exactly which screen it's on in Engineering mode, but it lists GALA, high pass change, and other speed controlled audio things you can turn off.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Not sure about sym2...gala can be turned off, but don't know about EQ.

is it possible to defeat the volume control dependent equalization that is built in?

I am asuming you are referring to using a VAG correct?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No. GALA can be turned off in the menu on the sym2... and engineering mode on RNS.

neither requires VAG-COM.
Old 01-02-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Re: No. GALA can be turned off in the menu on the sym2... and engineering mode on RNS.

Ok. Please excuse my ignorance here, but how does one access "engineering mode"?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default To enter engineering mode on the RNS...

with the headunit on...

1. Press the "NAV" button and release.
2. Press the upper left soft key for over 5 seconds then release.
3. Press the upper right soft key until Engineering Mode appears then release.

Quick Reply: Audi GPS headunit question