Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

audio GURU's needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default audio GURU's needed.

i love how 15s handle low bass, and i love how smaller subs handle upper bass. the question is...

is it possible to run different size subs and have it not sound like ****? im not asking if you think its WORTH the time/money/PITA. i want to know if its possible without running into problems of the frequencies cancelling each other out, etc.
Old 03-29-2004, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that is a very int. question...even though i would think its not an 'optimal' idea.
Old 03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default any logic behind that? im not sure if its optimal or not

but im thinking it might work if its really done correctly.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I've been thinking of doing just the same

I would imagine the best results would be obtained by keeping the smaller subs away from the major sub. I've been thinking of mounting 2 x 8" JL subs in the parcel shelf (to add some punch)with my 10" Alpine ported sub remaining in the boot out of phase with the JL's.
Can't really face the work involved without knowing if it would be worth it.
Cheers, Andy
Old 03-30-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Good In theory but.....

If you're suggesting using a 15 for low, slow bass, it will be hard to also hear the tight hitting sound of a smaller subwoofer. By nature the 15's notes will take longer and the smaller subs notes will take less time to actually hit, thus the smaller woofer's note will be hard to notice.

Now if you're talking about running 8" subs up front somewhere, that's a whole different story because of the relative closeness of the speaker. you might want to look into doing that.

But my suggestion would be a 12 or 10 in woofers. 12" subwoofers were invented because they are not quite as low as a 15 but not as tight sounding as a 10.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah. but as far as i can tell all i'd really need is a cross over, some good amps...

and a whole lot of time on my hands to tune the system.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default but shouldnt...

i balance the system? the 8's would have to push more power into some kind of happy medium. also, 15's can be tight, as long as they're playing low frequencies. usually the problem is that they start playing higher frequencies and it cant move fast enough.

also, every note and tone has not only the primary note, but frequencies from the octaves above and blow in different amounts. shouldnt splitting the frequencies into speakers that are more appropriately sized improve sound quality dramatically, even if you can't hear the smaller subs?
Old 03-30-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes.

Sounds like you want what Eddie Runner has been preaching for years . You want to match the output from higher frequency drivers to the subwoofer output levels.

Get 15s and cross them over low.
Get 8s and cross them over higher.

Put the 8s closer to you than the 15s, and put some power behind them.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:10 PM

Default yes and no

do you really want one 15 one 12 one 10 one 8 etc, to reproduce the frequency its rated for? probably not, plus itd be a major PITA to not only phase align them, but to make sure they were all running their seperate frequencies. And i dont think the 8's would have to push more power, on the contrary they would need less power because moving the physical cone on the woofer would require less power to move because of its size.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:11 PM

Default This sounds like a good idea, i likey

in theory anywho...it sounds like the best/easiest way to get away with what u want to do.

Quick Reply: audio GURU's needed.