Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Install Ques.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Install Ques.

I am installing an aftemarket cd player, amp and subs in my vehicle 1996 A4 Quattro 2.8 with the Bose system. I'm attempting to integrate the radio to the existing bose system and then just add an amp and subs. I need some help as to where should I run the wires from the head unit (front) to the trunk (rear). I know power and RCA's seperate but where? Under the plastic side panels (by the doors)? How do you get them off? Also where do you recommend I mount the amp in the trunk? I know not upside down but where? Special braket? Has anyone done this, do you have pic's. Anything else I should know before begining.
Old 12-19-2002, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Audio Install Ques.

I'm in the process off going through the same upgrades. I suggest to run the RCA's through the centre console to avoid interference with the car electronics (otherwise you might end up with a high pitch noise in the speakers). I ran the power cable (4 gauge) under the plastic side panels on the driver side (you have to remove the kick panel and a screw below the rear seat before removing the side panel). I've installed my amps on a wodden board on the right side of the truck. I can post a few pics once I've finished the installation sometimes this weekend.
The biggest issue will be the speakers. You've indicated that you have the Bose system, which uses 2 Ohm speakers. Unless you amp is capable of handling this impedance, you will have to replace the original speakers (they sound terrible anyways). I've bought three sets of Boston Accoustics speakers to replace the Bose jokes.
Also watch out when using an aftermarket wire harness as they tend to put 12V on the K-line used by the Audi diag tool. Depending on the dealer they may refuse to diagnose a car with an aftermarket radio.