Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio newbie - Can I just add an amp to stock HU/spkrs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio newbie - Can I just add an amp to stock HU/spkrs?

I have an early '99 A4 Avant with the stock, non-Bose stereo. The only part that sounds halfway decent are the tweeters in the front doors. The speakers in the rear doors are very weak, the fader has to be +10 or more to the rear to hear them. The speakers don't sound blown, just weak and muddy. All in all, the stereo needs help. However, I like the stock look and I'm cheap. My goal would be a noticable improvement, but not to audiophile level. Will a modest amplifier help me? What would I need? Where's the best place to go to learn more for a DIY install?
Old 08-30-2005, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default You'd likely want an amp and speakers

Your stock speakers won't be able to handle too much power, and they're really not that great.

For maybe $500 + wires, you can get the parts needed for an entry-level 4-channel amp ($250), a set of components for the front ($150), and a pair of speaks for the rear ($100). That is, if the amp has high-level inputs, otherwise you'll need another $50 for a high-low converter (changes speaker-level signal to low-level RCA). You're lookin another $50 or so for wires, so maybe $600 all together for something a good deal better than stock.

If you've done wiring anywhere before and feel comfortable removing panels, you'll be able to do the install, no problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:16 PM

Default just new speakers

If you are just looking for better sound without breaking the bank, try getting 4 new speakers. You can keep the tweeters up front. Have the system professionally installed, it is worth the money. Also, try adjusting the sound on the CD player. You will want the bass almost all the way down, and the treble almost all the way up, it will sound a lot better. You most likely do not need an amp, your factory head unit should be fine (if working properly). If you want more from your music, then try adding a sub and amp. Do not just jump into a 4-channel speaker amp. It will be way too much without some bass to compliment it. Good luck