Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Word. Punctuation is your friend.

yea I have been readin most of the forum and got some helpful hints, but its gets real confusing sometimes.I like the stealth sub U made and love the setup proport did...tryna figure if I can do somethin like that. wasnt to good in arts and crafts. what I was thinkin of doin is keepin the headunit, and changin all the speakers in the car to 6.5 component speakers... saw 2 I was interested in. polk audio 100watt rms, 92db; and earthquake 85watts rms , 89db.

the guy at the shop was tryna persuade me into gettin the earthquakes sayin that with the polks 92db that at high volumes there would be distortion.what kind of speakers would U use? he also suggested me gettin rid of the factory sub and replace it with a 8 inch speaker to give me more vocal. would that be a good idea?

I was thinkin of gettin a 12inch sub and doin a stealth enclosure like the one U had. and 1 amp for everything. but then someone told me get 2 amps. one for sub and one for speakers.... also would it work 2 get 2 subs and put one in each corner of the car trunk... but would it be a problem them facing each other?

The guy at the shop told me I would need adapters to connect the amps and stuff to the stock HU. but reading some posts I saw that U didnt need anything really...Also is a capacitator important? your feedback is appreciated
Old 08-22-2006, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Of course, trial-and-error can be a great teacher too.

Although I have a lot of experience in home and pro audio systems, I had zero experience with car systems. So I made plenty of mistakes in my car -- even though i paid shops to do the actual work.

Now after a good deal of trial-and-error, 3 different amplifiers, 3 different subwoofers, and 4 installations, I have my system where I am happy with it.

Sure I could have saved money by doing more research. But the process was fun and educational. And you can't put a pricetag on the expereince.
(I would say that I could have saved money by doing more of the installs myself -- but in truth, I probably would have had to pay a shop to fix my mistakes anyway.)

-- P.