Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B5 2001 A4 Sedan - With Bose - Speaker Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B5 2001 A4 Sedan - With Bose - Speaker Help

I have not done anything to the sound yet but I think it's time to upgrade. The shop I talked to said the best thing to do is get a good 5 channel amp with a 10" sub. Have the fronts and rears off the front and rear outs and of course the 5th on the sub. I beleve there are 8 speakers in this car right? Components in the front doors, 4 inch in the rear doors and 6 5/8 in the back panel? Is this a good approach?He mentioned there are stereo outs on the bose system so I can stay with the factory system. What I need to know is.

What are the speakers in this car? Sizes? Locations?

What can I replace them with easily for an improvement in sound. I am pretty sure the factory speakers are paper crap. What did you replace the speakers with? I am not interested in custom kick panels.

Is a five channel amp sufficient to run the current speaker setup and a sub? Will they work with, what I believe are, 2ohm speakers in the car already?

Thanks,

Chrisitna
Old 01-21-2004, 10:43 PM

Default don't get a 5-ch amp...

not sure on the speaker sizes exactly but:

front: 4.5" mid and 1" tweet(?)
rear door: 6.5" mid, no tweet
rear deck: ???(maybe check crutchfield)

you can replace the speakers with anything aftermarket, match them to an external amp, and you'll get better sound. However, i'd stay away from using a 5-ch amp and using the 5th channel for a sub b/c the 5th channel is usually pretty weak and not capable enough to drive a sub properly. I'd say always get a separate amp for your subs. always.

Don't try to drive your bose speakers with an aftermarket amp unless it's rated 1-ohm stable (bose speakers are 1.5 ohm, i think). otherwise your amp will overheat and shut down.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:16 PM

Default Re: don't get a 5-ch amp...

What about wiring with the original deck? I like the look of the factory but I don't think i would get good sound quality if I kept it. Thoughts? Also, looks like MB doesn't offer the 5 1/4 adapters so I guess I have to go custom if I want to go with the bigger fronts. What would you recommend under a 2k budget?

-Christian
Old 01-25-2004, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd run

a set of 5 1/4 up front..choose from the following brand and models..Diamond Audio(M5, Hex) MB(PSC, DSD) Focal(polyflex)

for the rear run a set of Coax they are just for rear fill.

for a sub run a 10" JL W3, Diamond M5, ID they all make good subs that will let u stay in your budget

as for an amp you have many options you can run 2 seperate subs. A 4Ch for your speakers and a mono for your sub. Or you can run a 5ch. Only problem with a 5 ch is if you ever want to upgrade later on you can but you will have just wasted money on a 5 ch. A JL 5ch is basically their 300/4 4ch amp and their 250/1 mono amp built into the same chassis. Same with the Zapco 5ch. I'd go more into detail but i feel like crap right now. Shoot me an email if you have any specific questions.