Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B6 S4 Glovebox Phatbox install issues...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B6 S4 Glovebox Phatbox install issues...

I searched a few weeks ago, and came across quite a few links here on AW with people who have integrated their phatbox while having XM/SIRIUS...

I probably read through each link about 6 times before I actually tackled the job last night...

Well, I definitely know I will need to splice pins 18-20 better... I was going to just solder them but, decided against it just in case... So I went with the el-cheapo wire taps (taking them out tonight)

My issue is this, everything works as it should... sound comes from all speakers but, to me it seems as though lower frequencies are not coming through (ie bass)... I'm no bass junkie but, I have the same song on both my phatbox and a CD in the 6-disk indash, I played the song via phatbox and it sounded nice and crisp and I actually didn't notice that almost no bass was coming through until about a minute into the song, so I played it via the CD and it sounded just as it should (IMO)...

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? I played through other songs that I KNOW should be "hitting" much harder with the same outcome, little to no bass...

TIA!!!
Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default this is the issue with splicing the audio lines from SAT and Phat together...

...you should run the wiring in sequence.

I build custom wiring harnesses for this....or you can search the forums for the answers. This has been covered before (mostly for Ipod / SAT integration).

-Ted
Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I "researched" this install for at least a month without actually installing it...

I searched every audi forum I know and found the exact same info, using the phatbox with xm... did exactly what the majority of them said, (with the exception of using a 10kohm resister in line with 2 of the 3 shared pins)...

my XM signal is still strong as it was before... Why would only one side have a weak signal and the other not?

anyway, if you wouldn't mind, email me info on your custom harness... cost pictures... I'd appreciate it!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Ted's the man

He made me a custom harness that integrates nav, phatbox, xm module in my S8. It was a total plug and play application. My son's a
Marine stationed @ NAWS China Lake. Semper Fi !!
Phil C