Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bose vs additional sub: Round 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose vs additional sub: Round 1

So I finally got ambition to put my sub and amp from the old A4 in the A6. I used a line converter off the rear speakers in the A4 to get signal for the amp and it was acceptable, although that car didnt have a bose system.

After some searching I found all the wiring diagrams for the interface plug on the bose amp and i see what I need to tap for turn-on and also what my options are for tapping in that line level converter ... although I cant find a definite answer on which wires will work the best.

Some people recommend taping the wires that go to the rear speakers, some say the ones that go to the factory bose sub but so far I haven't found a good answer.

I would be worried about the output from the bose amp being too limited frequency wise at the rear speakers, but wasnt sure what frequencies they cut off at, and same with the factory sub leads.

Anyone have any insight on the best location to tap for that line converter? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Do not tap into the output of the bose amp!

The bose amp uses software to boost certain frequencies and crossover others. In the A4's that I have owned with the Bose amps, the Bose management is what makes the bass sound muddy in the subs. If you tap into the output of the amp using line levelers, you will get the crossed over signal out of the Bose amp.(= muddy) Tap into the low level inputs coming into the Bose amp and you will get the 'true' full range signal coming out of the head unit. That way, you can cross the signal any way you like. Just get a couple RCA plugs from radio shack and hijack the signal from the loom going into the amplifier.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default thats actually what i ended up doing

after reading through <a href="http://www.redshift-consulting.com/audiaudio/interface.html" target="_blank">this</a> I just ended up cutting an RCA cable and soldering it to the inputs.

Everything works great and sounds much better... now the only problem I have is engine noise. I'll look into that tomorrow but so far so good.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Do not tap into the output of the bose amp!

I was told that the bose amp should not be bipassed due to the amp itself controlling fading, volume, and balancing. Is that total BS, because I am getting ready to do a two amp install and I bought a high level 4-channel converter, but was thinking about cutting up some RCA's and splicing into the amp input. I would much rather do that then splice into the output of the amp, especially if it sounds bad.