Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can an aftermarket XM antenna...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an aftermarket XM antenna...

connect to the Factory Satellite tuner? If it can be done, what adapter is needed to make this possible?

I'm trying to get rid of my Sharkfin (2004.5 A4). Here's my plan: Connect a XM Micro antenna to the factory tuner and mount it on the rear deck. Take off the Sharkfin and mount a FUBA Antenna or TT Beesting antenna to cover the hole on the roof.

What do you guys think?

Any incite is greatly appreciated.

"Quattro is all wheel drive and that's all we'll drive."
Old 12-15-2004, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It should. If Audi adhered at all to standards, it should screw right off/on...

but then I'd hafta see it to be sure.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Factory sat is dual coax old style. Micro antenna is single coax new style.

I did manage to use the shark fin with an adapter on a new-style aftermarket sat unit, but the wires had to be reversed... found that by accident.
So, I'm guessing if you get an adapter, you may be able to use new style single coax antenna with old style dual coax factory sat unit, but if it doesn't work, reverse the wires and try it again. When I mean reverse, I mean connect plug to the opposite color connector. When connected to same color, mine would NOT work.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Factory sat is dual coax old style. Micro antenna is single coax new style.

thanks for the incite. So there is an adapter available for dual coax tuner to single coax antenna? Where did you get your adapter?

I've been on a quest to de-sharkfin my ride since April..(shoulda waited a few months for the submarine antenna on the 2005's). FYI..the newer antenna is $295 for the A4/S4 because it supports SAT/NAV. The same style antenna is on the 2005 TT's for $215 because it's just for SAT.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:42 PM

Default I think its called siriusbackstage.com not sure though

I got my adapter from someone at Sirius, because the adapter I needed didn't exist. He made it for me... or got it from his work at Sirius, because they aren't on the market (or weren't then). The ones that DO exist (which is the one you are looking for), you should be able to get at any good stereo shop. Those are the ones that use new antenna with old dual-coax unit. I needed the opposite; dual coax old antenna with single coax new receiver. The adapter isn't reversable; it's specific.
You shouldn't have a problem finding one to do what you want. I personally like the shark fin so it was harder for me to find the right adapter to keep it with aftermarket new-style receiver.