Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add a Xover to existing factory wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add a Xover to existing factory wiring?

I purchased some Diamond audio 5.25 comps for my front doors. An installer said because I am keeping my stock unit and using a linelevel converter (to my Eclipse 5 channel amp), there is no reason to upgrade the speaker wiring for the nominal improvement in sound quality. The amp speaker wires run back up behind the head unit and are tied into the factory speaker wiring there. Are the wires clearly color coded for the various components? Can I do this without pulling my radio?

Thx Kurt
Old 09-07-2001, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

any reason your not using the Blau adaptor so you can get RCAs and not need live level converters?
Old 09-08-2001, 09:16 PM

Default I'm pretty sure this has been done

As far as labelling of the existing wires, there really isn't much to it. Each door has a pair of conductors, and the one with the neutral color (brown or black) is the negative conductor. The wires go into the door and connects to a harness, and from there splits to the tweeter and mid, in a parallel configuration.

You don't necessarily have to remove the HU, but if you did, you would find a diagram that would show you which wires are + and - for the speakers. You should be safe just looking for a brown or black stripe for neg.

Here's what I'm doing:

I have my amp wired to the factory wiring behind the HU just as you described. I'm going to take advantage of the factory wiring job from the HU to the door. Inside the door, I'm going to leave the factory harness in place, cut the wire behind the harness, and run it (either the tweeter or mid-woofer pair will do, since everything was in parallel) into my cross-over.

According to my wire stripper, the factory wiring is 16 gauge, and I can't imagine it would need upgrading unless you were doing something pretty exotic.

One thing to think about though: If your cross-overs are adjustable in any way (such as tweeter attenuation), you may want to consider mounting them somewhere you can reach for tweaking. Of course, you would then need to run at least one more pair of wires into the door. I'm afraid I can't help you there. Good luck.