Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the shark fin that is being used for factory XM be used for future aftermarket XM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can the shark fin that is being used for factory XM be used for future aftermarket XM?

I currently have factory XM running, but am looking to go aftermarket on everything so I can get NAV and video.
Can the factory XM trunk unit be used/controlled with aftermarket XM ready head units?
If not, can the shark fin antenna be used for aftermarket XM units?
Also, will the aftermarket head unit work for AM/FM with factory antenna?
TIA
Old 05-26-2004, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default look to see how the cable connects to the factory XM...

The older unit used 2 tiny coax connectors- usually green and yellow. Newer unit- the ones like the Delpi and such use a single coax. Is there a diffrence between one or 2... most likly not in terms of performance. You would just need to find out how it all connects. Otherwise you remove the factory unit and replace with an aftermarket one in the same spot on the car... follow the same pipe that the current factory cable uses.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:53 AM

Default Yes, IF the aftermarket tuner uses the dual-connector antenna lead for Gen. I XM tuners.

The factory sharkfin has the twin yellow/green connectors, see my pic poster. Some of the newer AM XM tuners such as the Delphi SkyFi now use a single connector mini XM connector. My SkyFi is an older unit so it uses the original dual-connector leads.

You will need an antenna extension which is available from a couple of places, XMfan.com and Crutchfield being two of them.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Default Thanks alot for the help!! What if I switched to Sirius?

The headunit I'm looking at only supports Sirius.. the antennas are the same, correct?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:19 PM

Default I have heard different reports, but the sharkfin supports both.

The keyed connectors on the end of the antenna leads are different, at least they were for my Delphi XM vs. Kenwood Sirius.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default XM and Sirius are diffrent...

I think even though the shark fin antenna looks the same, my guess is that they are diffrent in fact... they basically took the guts out of a normal XM antenna or sirius antenna and install them into their "shark fin" housing. That way in the end the cables are diffrent. That might not be the case though... Sirius and XM might actually be indentical antennas like Boiler said with diffrent ends, but I doubt it, since you don't see the same looking sirius and XM antennas even from the same companies, ie Terk... their Sirius and XM antennas look very diffrent.

That is just my thought, what sucks about car manufactures is that you will never get a real straight forward answer cause the sales guys rarly know that level of detail, parts guys just know parts codes, and the tech might not know what is in the antenna- but will know how to remove and install a new one . IF it is possible, see if your parts guys can get both in stock and look at them both, but I doubt they would have these on hand.

I use XM and love it, I really think Sirius will be gone in several years, I think XM really has them beat, now that their channels are commercial free, plus XM has so many more options to offer- 2 sat. vs 1 sat. ... more channels with XM I think... nicer looking units... MUCH larger market share. Listen to both at Best Buy and call around to installers, see what customers are buying up. Then decide
Old 05-27-2004, 08:46 PM

Default Yeah... I like XM, too. But Kenwood only has Sirius...

I know for a fact that my dealer changed nothing on the shark fin internals when they put in the factory XM. I watched them do the whole install. never touched the antenna at all. Maybe it was set up for XM and they would've changed it if I went Sirius, but that's not what they led me to believe... antenna was same for both. just wanted to make sure.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:49 PM

Sirius claims 3 sats and no commercials..... you up on what they're offering?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Yeah... I like XM, too. But Kenwood only has Sirius...

For Audi and Audi's Sirius tuner, they will be the same for both. Audi gives you the choice, but their Sirius tuner has the same keyed connectors as my Delphi and Pioneer's XM tuners.

Both XM and Sirius operate in a similar frequency range, not the same, but similar enough for the antenna to work with both.

I have a Kenwood deck and all I did was use the Aux-In adapter to bring in XM through my Delphi SkyFi when I dumped Sirius. Sold the Sirius tuner and antenna which paid for the SkyFi and both kits.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Sirius claims 3 sats and no commercials..... you up on what they're offering?

I haven't had Sirius in over a year now, but XM is now commercial free on the music channels and added several new channels. It's still only $9.99/mo. From what I have seen and read on several forums, the sound quality of one will be better than the other depending on where you live. I live in Southwestern Indiana and XM is definitely stronger and has a better signal around here. I had problems with Sirius. In other locals it's completely the opposite...

Quick Reply: Can the shark fin that is being used for factory XM be used for future aftermarket XM?