Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone give me a brief "crossovers for dummies" tutorial?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone give me a brief "crossovers for dummies" tutorial?

I found my crossovers today, mounted beautifully under the rear seat. The left was set to 0, and the right was -2. Why the difference? And can someone give me a non-technical explanation of how the different settings will affect sound quality?

BTW, the crossovers I'm talking about are for my Focal 136k components in the front.

TIA
Old 11-01-2001, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm assuming that the 0 and -2 are in dB (decibels)...

I don't have the Focal's but those are most likely the high frequency attenuation settings (i.e. only affects the tweeter). Basically the setting at 0 means no attenuation of the high frequency. The -2(dB?) means to attenuate (muffle the highs) so that it won't sound so "tinny". The closest thing I can relate it to is by turning up/down the treble on your stereo. Notice how the highs become more muffled as you lower the treble.

Usually installers will attenuate (set to -2) the high frequency signal if the tweets are mounted closer to ear level. I'm not sure as to why the right and left were set that way though.

If you have easy access, go ahead and change the settings to hear for yourself what happens to the sound.

As for crossovers, they are devices used to filter (split) the sound. In car speakers, the included crossovers are usually not adjustable. Crossovers, allow certain sounds (such as midbass, bass) to go to the woofers while the highs, (vocals) will go to the tweeters. What is adjustable is the attenuation to the tweeters. That's what I think the 0, -2 settings affect.

Hope this helps.
-AlexD
Old 11-01-2001, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And here's a semi-technical link to Xovers

<ul><li><a href="http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=speaker.htm&url=http://www.customcarsound.com/crossovr.html">Crossovers for "not-quite" dummies</a></li></ul>